FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Redeye Rudeness - Pilot as Passenger
View Single Post
Old Nov 1, 2011, 10:13 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by FrankC6
Exactly! Just like most airlines require all passengers to close window shades on redeyes (there goes one's right to look out of the window), I feel that airlines have a right, if not obligation, to require all passengers to respect that most pax will attempt to sleep on a redeye and any sounds should be kept to an absolute minimum.
Fortunately I have only been asked, not required, to lower window shades on all my redeyes. It really depends, and I know I am getting off-topic here. On long flights from Asia to the US that depart late at night for example, it is best to take a short nap very early in the flight then stay up the rest of the flight so when one arrives in the evening in the US, they are tired enough to go to bed and sleep soundly. Everyone who slept half the flight will have a much harder time with jet lag. The main reason I choose a window on such flights is so I can control the window shade. I lower it half way but having natural light helps in several ways to overcome jet lag.