FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Redeye Rudeness - Pilot as Passenger
View Single Post
Old Nov 1, 2011, 5:54 am
emrdoc

Unhappy Wow...

Originally Posted by jrl22
856 SAN-JFK, Fri night 10/28 --

I was on a revenue ticket, my wife (non-elite) was on an award ticket (i.e., no companion upgrade) ... she declined my offer to sit up front, saying she finds it easier to lean against the sidewall in coach (10A)

for about the last 5-10 min of boarding, throughout the entire pushback/taxi/takeoff sequence incl the safety video, and the first 10 min or so of climbout the passenger in 10C (who admitted to being a DL pilot on leave) carried on a very animated conversation with the passenger in 10D (and possibly 10E as well) at a volume level that I could hear fairly clearly in row 2 (I also think at least one of the other talkers was an employee because she spent a fair amount of time in the forward galley chatting with the FAs during the trip)

I glared back at him several times, thought there was eye contact, gestured "Cut" and put my finger to my lips ... no reaction, no change in volume ... as soon as the FAs were up and about I rang the call button and asked the lead FA to please nicely ask them to shut up ... it probably took another 15-20 min before the conversation was at a low enough volume that my second Woodford kicked in

neither my wife nor I can say for sure whether he was NRSA or a paying psgr, but it's still rather disturbing that a line pilot and another DL employee apparently didn't understand (or just chose to ignore) that most if not all pax on a redeye are more interested in sleeping than in listening to other conversations

Good grief...