FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Am I crazy? Thinking of trying 1 year with 75% travel
Old Oct 19, 2011, 8:08 am
pittpanther

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
Originally Posted by ibs_traveller
I'm also a bit of a hotel snob, so I find that traveling gives me the opportunity to bolster my review collection on TripAdvisor.

For next year, I am thinking of selling off my home, switching to a different department at work that travels much more (let' say.. >75% of the time so I would be home at most 1 week per month), and keeping my non-sellable goods at my parents house. The weeks I am not on the road I can work remotely through company VPN.

When I am on the road, as long as I am booked to be out for consecutive weeks, I am thinking about NOT flying back home on the weekends but either staying in the same place (if it is interesting) or occasionally flying somewhere else within short distance for a change of scenery.
The flaw in your plan is that you are not at 90-100% travel. If you're really going to be at 75%, this means (as you said) you're expected to be "home" for 1 week per month. What are you going to do for this week? Crash at your parents place, or spend out of pocket money to stay at hotels? If you're spending to live in a hotel 1 week per month, there go any savings you might have earned by not having a place of your own.

If however this one week per month is actually spread out over time, and you can get the company to pay for it, I think in general this is a good idea and will help your career going forward.