Am I crazy? Thinking of trying 1 year with 75% travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I crazy? Thinking of trying 1 year with 75% travel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2011, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
OP.. have you considered doing major travel split up over 4 or 5 years..

We travelled 2 1/2 months this year.. maintain status with some programs.. to reap earned benefits the following year..
Old Oct 24, 2011, 5:01 am

I think this could be pretty cost-effective in theory. Supposing you find a deal (say with Priceline), such that lodging is $300-400 per the one week per month that you are not on the company dime, then you are obviously ahead of any reasonable rental option.

It's a good point about having access to specialized equipment. But also keep in mind the total cost of space in making this decision. For example, in theory, it could be worth it to just spend $100 per month on shoes (and donate them every month after a few uses) in some cases.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 7:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Assuming you can sell your home and payoff the mortgage its is doable. However, you really need to do a lot of planning or it will become very costly. For weekends, I would recommend Priceline or Hotwire for hotels. Also, you need to investigate whether public transportation is ample (Chicago, New York, SFO, Boston) or if renting a car will be necessary to get around (again PL or Hotwire).

Also, do you own a car now and can that be easily stored.

You also need to be ready for any contigency, particularly in the case of weather.

Finally, are you ready for what in most cases will be a lonely life. You will be on your own for stretches of time and only interact with people on a short basis. This might not be so easy for a person in their 20s.

I say do it but really think through the logisitical and personal aspects before you go ahead.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 1:16 pm

UPS or FedEx

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
A consideration is snail mail, and where to forward to..

I would probably setup a PO box.. and somehow have an arragement to forward to you whereever you are..
Unless you have someone to clear mail for you locally, I recommend getting a box at a UPS Store or similar operation.

You can arrange for them to forward to you if needed but more importantly the post office has this hustle with junk mailers.

USPS get paid to stuff our mail box and then if you don't clear it they start insisting you get a bigger box to accommodate all the junk mail.
Those weekly grocery store flyers pile up quickly.

UPS costs something like 10x the UP PO box but it's a worthwhile investment.
Works internationally too.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by The_Diamond_Z
Unless you have someone to clear mail for you locally, I recommend getting a box at a UPS Store or similar operation.

You can arrange for them to forward to you if needed but more importantly the post office has this hustle with junk mailers.

USPS get paid to stuff our mail box and then if you don't clear it they start insisting you get a bigger box to accommodate all the junk mail.

^ Private mail boxes are the way to go. You'll never have PO Box delivery issues, you get a real street address and the service is way better.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by The_Diamond_Z

So UPS has a service where you can forward mail at choice..

I've seen some UPS stores around Calgary.. This would make for a good option for long term travel..
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
I'd go for a roommate or other arrangement where other folks are renting the lion's share of the house, but the OP would be free to come and go as he pleases when work doesn't have him on the road. The money you get from selling the "sellable" stuff will only be a drop in the bucket of what it costs to replace it when the year (or two or three) is over. You won't get much by selling your ironing board, wastebasket, and extra towels but you'll spend a lot when you go to replace them. More importantly, it's just very comforting to have somewhere to call your own. 75% travel is a lot of travel and it can be a real grind. It can also be a lot of fun. But that 25% is still a lot of non-travel time. I don't think I could manage a monthly week-long visit to my parents' house for more than 3 or 4 months and we have a great relationship; being able to go to your space, cook your food, visit your things, and such is really refreshing after 3 weeks on the road, moreso if the home days are spread throughout the month.

Regardless of the arrangement, I'd want the "home" days to be consistently in the same place. There's something to be said for knowing where everything is, and having something of a routine, when not on the road.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:12 pm

It may have not been very fiscally responsible but I always kept my place as I really like a "home base". I am going towards my late 20s now but have been doing 90-100% travel for 5 years now and as much as I don't mind hotels it's really nice to come home to something you know even if it's only for 2 nights a week.

Some people are mentioning deals on the weekends you stay over....I would definitely ask your company about this as I have never had a problem getting them to foot the hotel bill and car in lieu of paying for a flight home. Very rarely is the hotel more than the flight for those 2 or 3 nights and you are able to work all Friday and all Monday so no lost travel time (bargaining chips).

Also when you said fly somewhere close if that place isn't interesting.... I say push it here again and see if they will fly you anywhere for a reasonable price. My colleagues and I have often flown to far off locations for a weekend simply because the ticket price was the same as our return trip home. A lot of times road warriors are given some leniency because they sacrifice a lot for the company, might as well take advantage if you can.

And get a hotel points credit card and stick with one chain, you'll never pay for a room again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.