FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CIBC Aventura World MasterCard - 1st Yr Free & 15,000 Points (Sept 2011)
Old Oct 4, 2011, 6:01 pm
Ancien Maestro
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Great White North
I got the invite in the mail today as well in a non-addressed envelope. Curious that you can't see the promo on the main CIBC page--this is a semi-targeted invite I guess (you have to live in the right neighbourhood).

I've been looking to pick up some additional Aeroplan points for a trip to Australia in 2013, so I'll apply and I'll earn another 5K with purchases (probably mostly gas, grocery and drug stores to get the 1.5 multiplier) to bring my up to the 20K points level for a transfer to Aeroplan, then cancel before the anniversary date comes up.

This is unusual for a Canadian credit card to have the first year fee waived or rebated. RBC did it with the Westjet MC and AMEX did it with the SPG AMEX (at least the first year).

Come the anniversary date, I'll see if I can switch to the Aerogold VISA and pick up the 15K points.
The Gas, Grocery and Drug Store multiplier is a good added bonus.. There wouldn't be a problem with me getting to 5K on those purchases, although I prefer to get double miles on my Amex Gold, but I'm holding the Amex Gold until it expires the first few months of next year..