FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Expanded wifi and future domestic IFE?
View Single Post
Old Sep 5, 2011, 9:54 pm
skycubbie

Programs: DL, UA
Arrow

[QUOTE=BoeingBoy;17052858]There's a rumor that US is looking at streaming IFE systems, such as the GoGo system AA is putting on their planes. With the prevalence of laptops, netbooks, tablets, smart phones, whatever is coming next, having a wired screen and audio at every seat is becoming un-necessary for a significant portion of travelers. Eliminating everything by having on-board wi-fi makes such systems less costly to install and haul around.

I suspect the decision will be based on the same thinking as the current system in the 321's - does it produce enough revenue to offset the cost?

Jim[/QUOTE

Jim - your idea makes a lot of sense but my concern is that a wireless-only solution only potentially positively impacts a minority of passengers. Not all have wifi-enabled devices in their possession. It IS better than no IFE and allows for all sorts of possibilities as there is no wire to connect into. Nonetheless, to me there's a great deal of wisdom in offering some sort of setback connectivity - even if it's only a USB port or power port. The other option is to have tablet computers a la iPads available for those who have no devices of their own (ie families with multiple small children) although, as I type this, I believe the AA solution includes the use of a Samsung tablet.

USAirways has an excellent opportunity here to deliver a quality IFE solution that is far more flexible than the AVOD or DTV alternative. Who knows? Maybe Parker & Co. have a pleasant surprise awaiting us in 2012-2013!

Skycubbie