FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Optus joins Qantas Frequent Flyer
View Single Post
Old Sep 1, 2011, 12:24 am
Supersonic Swinger

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I do wonder that with all the ways that are being offered to avoid the joining fee why Qantas doesn't just drop the whole joining fee for the scheme
Because as profitable and successful as QFF is, it still hasn't "evolved" to the same level as other programs in other parts of the world - probably because it's lacked a serious domestic competitor for the last 10 years. Other than still maintaining the joining fee, I can think of:

- requiring you to "opt in" to transferring Amex MR points to QF to the exclusion of all other carriers seems to say they think it's a priviledge for you to be able to transfer points to them, not that they should be grateful you choose to transfer to them over other programs;
- the highest annual fee airline branded credit cards in the US get you lounge access (like the Delta Amex Reserve and the new AA card), Qantas might give you a lounge invitation or two;
- there's no online shopping mall (eve Cathay with it's ridiculous "points expire after 3 years regardless how much activity in between" policy has an online shopping mall);
- their partner choices in some cases are restricted - why only 2 car rental partners?

I like what I'm seeing coming from Velocity, hopefully it forces QFF to innovate a little.