Optus joins Qantas Frequent Flyer

Old Aug 31, 2011, 4:56 pm
Company Representative - Qantas Airways
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Airways
Optus joins Qantas Frequent Flyer

I know there has been increasing speculation about when Optus is joining the program and today we can reveal that Optus is on board!

So let’s cut to the chase…

From today, if you’re an Optus personal customer, you can earn 2 points for every dollar spent on most services.

And if you’re a business owner you can also earn 2 points for every dollar spent on most SMB services until 31 December. This will revert to 1 point per dollar spent as of January 1, 2012.

The services you can earn points on include mobile, broadband, fixed line phone, mobile broadband and bundles – for both personal and SMB accounts. You can also earn points on Optus personal Foxtel TV packages. Basically any personal services with an Optus bill are eligible to earn points.

To register to earn points you need to complete the three steps to sign up to Optus Rewards at optus.com.au/points. For those who aren’t Frequent Flyers, they will be able to join the program without paying the usual joining fee through Optus Rewards. But for members, just link your existing membership, add your Optus accounts and you’re away.

Optus is a great addition to the program and unites two strong Australian brands – keep a look out for both the Frequent Flyer and Optus marketing campaigns which also launch today.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Last edited by Red Roo; Aug 31, 2011 at 8:23 pm
Old Aug 31, 2011, 5:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I wasn't aware that there had been much speculation about this let alone increasing speculation
Old Aug 31, 2011, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I wasn't aware that there had been much speculation about this let alone increasing speculation
C'mon cut some slack and let him enjoy his 15 minutes of fame
Red Roo has had some tough time in the last couple of weeks.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
There was plenty of speculation on AFF as someone posted they had noticed Optus gathering QFF information from customers.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by serfty
There was plenty of speculation on AFF as someone posted they had noticed Optus gathering QFF information from customers.
Ah. Perhaps that comment should have been posted on AFF then.

As far as the question about thoughts, to me it makes no odds since I don't use Optus.

I do wonder that with all the ways that are being offered to avoid the joining fee why Qantas doesn't just drop the whole joining fee for the scheme
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:49 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Originally Posted by Red Roo
unites two strong Australian brands
Given that Optus is owned by Singtel and Qantas is soon to become all about Qantasia, it sure does seem appropriate...
Old Aug 31, 2011, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Ah. Perhaps that comment should have been posted on AFF then. ...
It was ... probably verbatum, although I have not checked.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 9:59 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
TBH - some partners seem like a good idea, others I just scratch my head at (although I'm pretty confident QFF don't give a damn who buys their points, within reason!)

The Optus one has me scratching ... I doubt anyone would choose their phone provider based on the ability to earn (any carrier) FF points. Price, handset, contract length, features, network reach, would all come into play long before FF point-earn capability.

Others, car hire for example, where there are very similar products come more into the equation, price starts to become the major differentiator then, followed by point earn.

IMHO Woollies is so successful because the differentiators are so small (product and price), there is no contractual obligation and you can switch to and from the product on a daily basis.

Credit cards are all pretty similar product-wise (especially if you pay the balance monthly) - price again becomes the major differentiator, plus acceptablilty of the card eg AMEX versus MC/Visa.

Back to Optus: I'd suggest the only ones "speculating" would be those individuals already with Optus who are looking to get points for no additional outlay, so the sooner for them, the better.

BD
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:49 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Originally Posted by BD1959
The Optus one has me scratching ... I doubt anyone would choose their phone provider based on the ability to earn (any carrier) FF points. Price, handset, contract length, features, network reach, would all come into play long before FF point-earn capability.

I'd suggest the only ones "speculating" would be those individuals already with Optus who are looking to get points for no additional outlay, so the sooner for them, the better.

BD
Well put. QF positions itself as the "premium" airline in Australia, while Optus is certainly not a "premium" telecommunications provider. There is no chance I would switch to Optus based on FF points.

However - the FF programme is the most profitable part of QF, and the only one to make a decent return on capital.

More and more of these announcements and "enhancements" are about partners paying $$ to QF. QF is moving from a "points for flying" to a "points for buying" airline.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 12:24 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|HH Gold|DL Silver|ALL Silver|
I do wonder that with all the ways that are being offered to avoid the joining fee why Qantas doesn't just drop the whole joining fee for the scheme
Because as profitable and successful as QFF is, it still hasn't "evolved" to the same level as other programs in other parts of the world - probably because it's lacked a serious domestic competitor for the last 10 years. Other than still maintaining the joining fee, I can think of:

- requiring you to "opt in" to transferring Amex MR points to QF to the exclusion of all other carriers seems to say they think it's a priviledge for you to be able to transfer points to them, not that they should be grateful you choose to transfer to them over other programs;
- the highest annual fee airline branded credit cards in the US get you lounge access (like the Delta Amex Reserve and the new AA card), Qantas might give you a lounge invitation or two;
- there's no online shopping mall (eve Cathay with it's ridiculous "points expire after 3 years regardless how much activity in between" policy has an online shopping mall);
- their partner choices in some cases are restricted - why only 2 car rental partners?

I like what I'm seeing coming from Velocity, hopefully it forces QFF to innovate a little.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:53 am

Programs: Qantas WP, LTG , Delta, SPG, Priority Club
So I am an Optus customer and signed up for this today. Happy to get the points for nix.

It won't stop me dropping Optus as my mobile the second my contract expires.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 6:49 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Charming. Unless you accept to 'opt in' for every option, you cannot register.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 8:56 am

Programs: QFF
Qatans, for your information,

Optus can not even provide 3G network at major metropolitan cities, letting alone rural areas where you have your planes flying to.

i often laugh at people who buy an iphone or ipad on optus...what is the point?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: United mileage plus, qantas frequent flyer silver
optus

Thanks Frank for your appraisal regarding Optus as a service provider. I am with 3 and ready to up-date my contract so was seriously thinking about giving Optus a go..(.I'm a QF frequent shopper you see...) Although 3 isn't that good in country areas and is now joining up with Vodafone (yeek!) it has good coverage where i live and work.
Telstra would have been a more understandable partner i reakon
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:51 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Originally Posted by frankxinyu
Optus can not even provide 3G network at major metropolitan cities, letting alone rural areas where you have your planes flying to.
Originally Posted by gezza48
Thanks Frank for your appraisal regarding Optus as a service provider.
Telstra is the best 3G network in Australia
Optus has a pretty good 3G (900/2,100MHz) network, which works in most of QF's destinations

Vodafone/3 is a distant third, and be prepared for handset confusion as they move from 900/2,100 to 850MHz...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.