FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Aug 25, 2011, 3:54 pm
AZ Travels the World
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Mod Note: Older comments on this property can be found at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...-8-2011-a.html

I've stayed at this hotel multiple times a year for last several years. I'm here again now and this has been the most trying experience of them all.

The cheap rates this summer have really packed the place -- and it is stressing service like I've never seen it. Three different staff members, who recognize me due to my frequency, have commented along the lines of, "Those $139 rates are making the place crazy."

First, the one positive thing I have to say: In my view, the new Regency Club is an exceptional upgrade. I don't do the evening cocktail hour, but in the mornings, for breakfast, there is much more space and a first-rate continental offering. It's much more like an international Hyatt club. I've not had a hard time finding a table in the morning, even though the property is packed to the rafters. The lounge has been busy at times, but not packed. I actually use this place now -- I never used to.

Now the trying stuff:

The downstairs Diamond/Platinum check-in has not been operating all week. I was told it's because the computer there was broken. Hard to imagine how hard it is to get a new computer, but maybe it's on a slow boat from the mainland. Talk about the wrong time for this desk to be out of service.

So, I went to the lobby to check-in. The line was the longest check-in line I've ever experienced. I counted at least 40 people in front of me. There was a Japanese tour group checking in at the Diamond/Platinum counter, so that wasn't an option. I could not believe the wait. It was incredibly frustrating.

It was just a taste of what was to come.

The elevators are simply not designed to accommodate a full house. They take a long time, every time.

Valet parking has taken 20+ minutes, routinely. Took nearly 40 minutes once, and 30 another. The phone line to valet frequently (I've encountered it 3 times) has a voice message stating, essentially, "We are no longer accepting phone requests for cars, please come down and we will retrieve your car for you." The driveway is mayhem most of the time. Twice, even though I called down in advance and reached a person, nothing happened and I've had to start the process over again.

I had to have keys re-made (because they were coded wrong) three times. First the RC didn't work, so I got a new one. Then it would open the RC, but would not open the room. Third trip was the charm. Each time waiting in line behind no fewer than a dozen people. I later figured out that they could re-make keys in the RC lounge -- note to self.

Service for lunch at Shor was slow and confused -- in spite of the place being empty. The most humorous of a few examples: A glass of wine appeared in a single-serving carafe, but with no glass for drinking it. The server could not understand that a glass was required for actually drinking the wine, so our waitress finally helped sort the confusion and get us a glass. She explained that with all the restaurants changing over a few month period, the staff is all being reassigned, based upon their tenure. That, combined with new formats and menus everywhere has created a significant state of confusion.

Following a workout yesterday, I sent my gym clothes out to be washed. What came back was someone else's clothes in the bag with my room number on it. They sorted it and mine appeared some time later.

I used a Diamond upgrade. I was excited to learn when I checked in that I was given a suite in the Diamond Head tower. But it's on the 33rd floor, so not RC, and it's a handicapped room. I've had these before and I don't like the bathroom, especially because there is a tiny closet with very little space to hang 8 days worth of clothes. I requested a different one, even if in the Ewa Tower, but there was nothing available -- because they're sold out.

The cheap rates this summer have brought in a different clientele -- folks who I suspect typically stay a few blocks off the beach. It's a very different experience. I will be happy when all this is over. I can only imagine how happy the staff will be.

Last edited by peteropny; Jan 26, 2012 at 7:43 pm