FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA issuers announce EMV cards (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature).
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:36 am
kebosabi

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by alexb133
The Walgreens cashier in Detroit asked me what is the "little silver thing" my card!!

I'd like to tell people to get that stupid look off their face, go to the computer, and find out what the whole world is using... Of course that'd be mean.
I figure it might depend on where the retailer/merchants are located. If they are in an area where they see many tourists from outside of the US like shops in Hollywood, terminal restaurants at LAX, or the 7-11 near the Holiday Inn LAX I mentioned earlier, employees there are likely to know what they are and it probably makes sense for those terminals to be chip active.

But if you try to do that say at like Ralphs supermarket in Downey, you'd probably get strange looks.

In that light, I'm sure cashiers of Walmart near the Canadian border that sees a lot of Canadian customers taking advantage of the CAD/USD exchange rate are more likely to know what chip cards are over Walmart cashiers in St. Louis, MO.

Last edited by kebosabi; Aug 18, 2011 at 10:44 am