FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - British words and accents
View Single Post
Old Aug 15, 2011, 2:58 pm
LTN Phobia
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by buddman

1. When passing through with the drinks trolly, CC ask if you would like a "sweet or savory" snack. Does anyone other than a British native speaker know what a "savory" snack is? I don't think the Germans on board did.

2. The captain thanked the passengers for "their custom". same as above - to me a British phrase not heard elsewhere in the English speaking world.
I can't speak for the US or Canadian people but I think a native Australian speaker would understand "savoury" and "custom". Not sure if native British English speakers would be too happy with "savory" though.

Edited to add that I had a bit more think about this, and I am now unsure if a native Australian speaker would understand 'thank you for your custom'. I must ask my Australian friends who have not travelled much.

Lastly, (and I know soneone will get upset), and in the opposite direction of Britishness, does anyone think it odd when the lead CC doing the announcement has a non-British accent?
I admit it can 'feel' a bit odd, although I don't dislike it unless the accent is so heavy that it is hard to understand what is being said (which is very rare).

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Aug 15, 2011 at 3:20 pm