Reload this Page >

British words and accents

Old Aug 15, 11, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat/Titanium

Flying into FRA last night, I made a few language related notes:

1. When passing through with the drinks trolly, CC ask if you would like a "sweet or savoury" snack. Does anyone other than a British native speaker know what a "savory" snack is? I don't think the Germans on board did.

2. The captain thanked the passengers for "their custom". same as above - to me a British phrase not heard elsewhere in the English speaking world.

Lastly, (and I know soneone will get upset), and in the opposite direction of Britishness, does anyone think it odd when the lead CC doing the announcement has a non-British accent? This time, she was French and I though for a minute I was on the wrong plane. Terribly un-PC I know (yes I know she was 100% competent, we live in the EU, etc etc)

Probably just me. Probably get my flyertalk account suspended. I feel evil just pressing the Submit New Thread button.

Last edited by buddman; Aug 15, 11 at 3:06 pm
Old Aug 15, 11, 2:56 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Reading your thread is making me a little peckish here. Can I bum a fag?
Old Aug 15, 11, 2:58 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by buddman View Post

1. When passing through with the drinks trolly, CC ask if you would like a "sweet or savory" snack. Does anyone other than a British native speaker know what a "savory" snack is? I don't think the Germans on board did.

2. The captain thanked the passengers for "their custom". same as above - to me a British phrase not heard elsewhere in the English speaking world.
I can't speak for the US or Canadian people but I think a native Australian speaker would understand "savoury" and "custom". Not sure if native British English speakers would be too happy with "savory" though.

Edited to add that I had a bit more think about this, and I am now unsure if a native Australian speaker would understand 'thank you for your custom'. I must ask my Australian friends who have not travelled much.

Lastly, (and I know soneone will get upset), and in the opposite direction of Britishness, does anyone think it odd when the lead CC doing the announcement has a non-British accent?
I admit it can 'feel' a bit odd, although I don't dislike it unless the accent is so heavy that it is hard to understand what is being said (which is very rare).

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Aug 15, 11 at 3:20 pm
Old Aug 15, 11, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by AJLondon View Post
ROFL... classic example... Can you imagine saying that almost anywhere in the US!
Old Aug 15, 11, 2:59 pm

Programs: Mucci, Marco Polo Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Blah Blah...
All the "Yanks" I know laugh at me when I say "cheers" for anything, including someone holding a door open for me/given a drink by a barman etc.

They find it unusual.... Cheers

Matt
Old Aug 15, 11, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le médecin personnel à PUCCI GALORE
It is called British Airways. Clearly they have multilingual crew but they can't let that get in the way of a brand with its identity emblazoned on everything it produces (paper, aircraft etc.)
Old Aug 15, 11, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by buddman View Post
Lastly, (and I know soneone will get upset), and in the opposite direction of Britishness, does anyone think it odd when the lead CC doing the announcement has a non-British accent?
Not at all. It iz quite normale for some British to have the foreign accent, no?
Old Aug 15, 11, 3:03 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

To me, one of the most endearing characteristics of flying BA is the multi-cultural, multi-national presence on board. Hey, we even had a 'Merkin* crew member on board last weekend's short LGW-EDI.

Thing's we're least likely to hear onboard a BA aircraft…

"will yee be gannin a drink with yee stottie, pet?"
"ache, awa' wi' ye lass! tak' a drink. Ye know ye wan't tae!"

* I assume American as there was no sign of a Canadian flag sown on his uniform

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by AJLondon View Post
You should have had a good dinner like me. Nothing like some ......s followed by spotted dick.

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by ragged View Post
You should have had a good dinner like me. Nothing like some ......s followed by spotted dick.

The noticeboard censors offal meatballs!
Old Aug 15, 11, 3:07 pm

Savory: It is not a common word in American English, but I am sure many people know its meaning. Especially in that context.

'their custom': I don't know what that phrase means (I'm American). Perhaps someone can fill me in.

This reminds me of a thread I was reading the other day which mentioned that a BA FA was carrying a 'torch'. That put a very odd image in my mind for half a second! (UK=flashlight, USA=flaming stick).

Given the thread . . . Cheers!
Old Aug 15, 11, 3:08 pm
Ambassador: LAN LANPASS

Programs: BAEC Gold, Avianca Lifemiles Diamond
Not entirely OT but has anyone else noticed that the PA announcements at MAD are made by a guy that sounds like a BBC continuity announcer from the 1950's yet in the lavs there is a little sign above the TAP that says "Automatic Faucet"
Old Aug 15, 11, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat/Titanium
Hmm. Moved to Travel and Dining.

Certainly never posted over here before!
Old Aug 15, 11, 3:15 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Welcome over to UK & Ireland. We're lovely really.
Old Aug 15, 11, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Originally Posted by will2288 View Post
'their custom': I don't know what that phrase means (I'm American). Perhaps someone can fill me in.
Root of the word "customer".....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: