FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Diamond challenge ideas?
View Single Post
Old Aug 14, 2011, 8:01 pm
baliktad
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by gambler01
That's the kind of figuring I was doing too. Best I can find in my area is $90 per night for an extended stay, which would net 11,900 points. I would value the points at $240, so net cost would be over $900. I'm wondering if there are other ideas out there other than renting a room I wont use...probably not, but thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks.
Maybe you could consider taking the $1000+ you would have spent powering through a Diamond challenge and instead just use it to buy up to a Regency Club room at whatever your intended vacation is. Depending on the property and length of stay, you may even be able to secure a suite for that $1000. It's not a year's worth of Diamond, but keeping your money liquid allows you to secure premium accommodations at your discretion, not the hotel's. Cash is also easily transferrable to other brands in case Hyatt doesn't meet your requirements.

I understand someone requesting a Diamond challenge who is already going to be staying in hotels 10+ nights in the near future. But if you have no travel planned, I'm not sure I could ever justify a dozen mattress runs just for the allure of future status.