Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond challenge ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2011, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Diamond challenge ideas?

I recently signed up for the Diamond challenge, so I have about 50 days left to stay 12 nights to retain my status. The problem is that I have no business trips planned, and our vacation plans are already set. So...wondering if it might be worthwhile to find the least expensive Hyatt hotel and pay for 12 nights just to retain Diamond, especially with some type of bonus point promo.

My gut feel is that it wont be cost efficient, but I thought I might as well ask the experts...ideas?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 8:48 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond, Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by gambler01
I recently signed up for the Diamond challenge, so I have about 50 days left to stay 12 nights to retain my status. The problem is that I have no business trips planned, and our vacation plans are already set. So...wondering if it might be worthwhile to find the least expensive Hyatt hotel and pay for 12 nights just to retain Diamond, especially with some type of bonus point promo.

My gut feel is that it wont be cost efficient, but I thought I might as well ask the experts...ideas?
Not sure what the $$$ value of a Diamond status would be for you, but I think if you can find $60-70 / nt HPs in your city, it may be worthwhile, esp if you use the AAA or Costco discounts.

I believe you get 1,000 points for the first 6 nights under the challenge. And the HPs give 500 per stay. If you can do 12 separate 1-nt stays at $60/nt, you would earn:
- 6,000 challenge bonus (6 nts x 1,000 pts/nt)
- 6,000 HP Diamond bonus (12 stays x 500 pts/stay)
- 4,680 stay points (5 pts/$ plus 30% Diamond bonus)

So is the Diamond status plus 16,680 points worth $720? And can you find $60/nt Hyatt Places in your city?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 9:00 am
Original Poster

That's the kind of figuring I was doing too. Best I can find in my area is $90 per night for an extended stay, which would net 11,900 points. I would value the points at $240, so net cost would be over $900. I'm wondering if there are other ideas out there other than renting a room I wont use...probably not, but thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 9:01 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
Why did you start a trail if you have no trips planned?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond, Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
That's the kind of figuring I was doing too. Best I can find in my area is $90 per night for an extended stay, which would net 11,900 points. I would value the points at $240, so net cost would be over $900. I'm wondering if there are other ideas out there other than renting a room I wont use...probably not, but thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks.
Try Fri or Sat nt stays. About 1/2 of the normal weekday rates.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 3:37 pm

Programs: US air -chairman, SPG-Plat, Hyatt - Dmnd, Hilton -Dmnd, Hertz - five star
ask them to start trial at a later date...or just wait couple weeks and see what the next promo will be...maybe you'll be able to net some extra bonus points...like I did with my diamond status earlier this year when "possibilities" promo was in effect...all in all stayed 13 nights and got 51k points.

my advise - just wait a little before the next promo - very likely it will be very well worth your while to do the challenge
Old Aug 14, 2011, 4:18 pm

Can someone tell me what the diamond challenge is? I'm a situation where I'm probably going to be about 10 stays shorts of maintaining diamond status and was also wondering if there were any ways I could take my current diamond level and have it matched for a year at another hotel chain without a lot of expense or trouble????
Old Aug 14, 2011, 4:18 pm

I assume OP started the trial in order to get benefits for his upcoming vacation.

My advice:
Can you get 5 single night stays in August? You could get the SW $317 credit plus your diamond bonus and the 5 X 1,000 bonus trial bonus. I would let it post as points then after the points are in the account call and change over to miles because a few of the agents don't understand that you get diamond bonus on mile stays also The good thing is you would have an emergency plane ticket for future use.

If you are one of the lucky few who live in a place swarming with Hyatts like Chicago and Dulles area it would be easier because you can hotel hop, but since you mention the $90 rate I assume your choices are limited like mine.

Look at prices around labor day weekend, because holidays are usually cheaper. As mentioned before most Fridays and Saturdays are usually the cheapest but I also check Thursday because sometimes it also goes down. Sunday (unless it is a holiday weekend) is usually more expensive near me.

If you can get the 5 stays in August, Maybe a few around labor day, and then wait as long as you can to see if a new offer opens up. Also if you don't make it then at least you got your recognition during your vacation and (assuming 5 stays) made platinum with some great bonus points.

good luck
Old Aug 14, 2011, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bob99b5
Can someone tell me what the diamond challenge is? I'm a situation where I'm probably going to be about 10 stays shorts of maintaining diamond status and was also wondering if there were any ways I could take my current diamond level and have it matched for a year at another hotel chain without a lot of expense or trouble????
There is a big thread on this, but I am to lazy to look for it to link. The Diamond challenge is for people who are elite with other chains. The person would show status by mailing or faxing their credentials after being accepted for the challenge then they need to have 12 or 13 nights *I am not sure of the number*.

I don't think they would give it to someone who has diamond now, because if they did most of us would requalify the easy way.
Also if you are only 10 stays away, it more than likely wouldn't make sense to burn a once in a lifetime chance.

I assume other chains match Diamond, you can look at the other programs forums and there should be some type of sticky or post if they do status matches.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by jrm68
There is a big thread on this, but I am to lazy to look for it to link. The Diamond challenge is for people who are elite with other chains. The person would show status by mailing or faxing their credentials after being accepted for the challenge then they need to have 12 or 13 nights *I am not sure of the number*.

I don't think they would give it to someone who has diamond now, because if they did most of us would requalify the easy way.
Also if you are only 10 stays away, it more than likely wouldn't make sense to burn a once in a lifetime chance.

I assume other chains match Diamond, you can look at the other programs forums and there should be some type of sticky or post if they do status matches.
It is 12 nights .
Old Aug 14, 2011, 8:01 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Maybe you could consider taking the $1000+ you would have spent powering through a Diamond challenge and instead just use it to buy up to a Regency Club room at whatever your intended vacation is. Depending on the property and length of stay, you may even be able to secure a suite for that $1000. It's not a year's worth of Diamond, but keeping your money liquid allows you to secure premium accommodations at your discretion, not the hotel's. Cash is also easily transferrable to other brands in case Hyatt doesn't meet your requirements.

I understand someone requesting a Diamond challenge who is already going to be staying in hotels 10+ nights in the near future. But if you have no travel planned, I'm not sure I could ever justify a dozen mattress runs just for the allure of future status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.