FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Updated: Award Redeposit and Reissue Rule Change
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:17 am
Deadtail
Suspended

Programs: DM
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
I can confirm that this is true.

I dont think it is a bad move at all though. It has always ticked me off that people buy mileage tickets they never intend on using. It takes away the space that others would love to book. I think DL should limit the number of holds people can do as well. This new policy should hopefully make lower level award seats easier to find and also allow for more SDC options since people will have to cancel ahead of time. As a PM this change won't effect me since I didn't abuse the redeposits but I'm sure many will ..... and moan about it. I'm sure DL will still redeposit awards if u have a valid reason or emergency but for those that abuse the system and screw the rest....they will now be out of luck.

Another change that I have heard is taking place is mileage upgrades. They will have the 72 hr policy as well. This policy will hurt those that have been buying K fares and upgrading with miles only to cancel without penalty and get their complimentary upgrade. Ironically though it won't impact PMs or DMs too much if the upgrade windows clear at 5 days like they do on many routes. Fortunately, SWUs won't have the same policy.

Overall, I think the changes were aimed at the PMs and DMs that have been abusing the system and holding inventory that DL could easily sell and others want. For the mass majority this will be a welcome change. For the self-centered that has been booking award tix not intending to use them and holding space, it will be tough. If people don't like the change, I guess they can go elsewhere but many airlines charge their highest elites redeposit fees on award tickets. DL is just trying to fill the empty seats they have due to the award tickets that are never cancelled or flown until right before the flight (or in many cases right after the flight). Flame me if you want but I think this is actually not a bad change at all for the skymiles program. 95% will like this change since it ****should**** open up more inventory to book low level tickets and SDC. Thankfully they still will allow PMs and DMs to redeposit for free 72hrs in advance which to me seems fair. I'm sure some bean counter did the math and I'm sure DL has lost millions due to empty seats on award tix never flown (and PMs and DMs are the biggest perpetrators since there was no penalty).
This was common practice with Worldperks and redeposit was one of the most popular Skymiles bashing topics post merger announcement. People actually had multiple award flights booked with several routings holding up award inventory only to release all but one as the travel date approached, screwing up inventory for everyone else. For sure a loop hole that deserved to be closed.