FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rule question & where to buy in CAI
View Single Post
Old Jun 8, 2003, 5:34 pm
Al B

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gnaget:
Surface sectors: Intermediate surface sectors permitted at passenger's expense, but mileage for surface sectors must be included in the maximum permitted mileage calculation. If a surface sector attracts more than one TPM the lower applies.

This is a bit unclear to me. I have my RTW worked out (see below) and thanks a million for all the good info on this site. I want to head down to the south island of NZ but that would put me above 29k. So, I thought I would do CHC-SYD and fly AKL-CHC on my own dime. However, the way I read the above rule, it would still put me over. So, I would have to fly AKL-CHC-AKL on the side. Also, could someone decipher/ clarify the last sentence.
</font>
You are correct - if you arrive at AKL and depart from CHC, the miles between the two are counted as part of the mileage limit, however the combined segment is counted as only one stopover under number of stopovers rule, although both cities are then negated for further stops as both count as a city stop under stops in city rule. The last part of the rule is for those routes where two global routing TPM's may apply. It does not involve your itinerary, but to briefly explain, you could go SYD-LHR via the EH routing or the AP routing (or TS or AF for that matter!). Both have different TPM's, so the lowest applies to the calculation of miles.
Air NZ have a new domestic fare structure in place and you will find, particularly with the excellent exchange rate of the NZD against nearly every other currency in the world, dirt cheap rates to do AKL-CHC-AKL return as a seperate ticket. DO NZ still offer their NAN-CHC nonstop? Does that help your mileage calc at all? You will need to check the rules for your own FF to see if these new NZ domestic flights qualify for miles. If they don't, then Qantas NZ also offer some excellent cheap deals as well also via their website.
And no, you don't have to nominate dates for sectors that are further into the booking from the first sectors. They can be open dated and exact dates can be booked in at a later time for free. If you change your routing however, then a re-issue fee applies. Pending the country of purchase the only flights that must be nominated are up to the first international leg or up to the first intercontinental sector.
Cheers.