FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AAdvantage Dynamic Air Awards for Elites [to be discontinued 1 April 2014]
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:21 am
coremill

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by hillrider
A beginning it is not; AA miles have been devaluing constantly at a rate of at least 3-4% annually, without factoring in the huge devaluation from the introduction of the YQ on certain awards.

When I joined AA in 1984, I was promised that for 20,000 accumulated miles and no cash I would:
  • fly roundrip on any US/CA flight as long as a single economy-class seat was available for absolutely free (they picked up all taxes/fees);
  • sleep one night for free at a Marriott or similar;
  • and drive a midsize car for free for 2 weekend days (IIRC).

In 2010:
  • flying roundrip on any US/CA flight as long as a single economy-class seat is available costs 50,000 miles plus those taxes/fees that they no longer pay for;
  • sleeping one hotel night at a Holiday Inn costs 31,250 miles and doesn't include "resort" charges;
  • driving a midsize car rental for 2 days is 16,000 miles (extra charges unknown);
for a total of 97,205 miles plus cash to pay for taxes/fees and "resort" charges.

In other words, 1000 AA miles of 1984 are now worth less than 389 miles (less because I am not counting in the value of the cash co-pays).

That's an annual devaluation of the accrued miles of 3.58%

It's a safe bet to predict that our miles will continue to lose a similar, if not higher, amount per year in the future. As such, I would not be surprised in the least that AA's decision to invest its very scarce IT resources to develop the "dynamic air awards" system is to support this trend.
Isn't this slightly misleading, though? I haven't done the math and so can't be sure, but I suspect the increased ability to earn miles has kept up with, if not outpaced, the increased redemption rates. At least for PLTs and EXPs, the 100% bonus alone means earning capacity is twice what it was in 1984 (was this around back then?). Adding in credit card sign-up bonuses and the SPG 1.25:1 transfer ratio makes a big difference too.

Really the people who got screwed are the non-elite flyers w/o credit cards who save up over several years for one free ticket.