FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Suggestion: Creation of a Lounge Subforum in OMNI
Old Jul 28, 2011, 9:57 pm
ryandc99
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lin821
When I said "established", it doesn't mean the community lounge thread shuts its door to new comers. On top of my head, there are at least two "late" arrivals who didn't join the community lounge thread until the 2nd Quarter this year and they have become active participants. They made effort to be part of the group. So far, I haven't seen we chased any new face out of the community lounge door either.

I am not going to repeat myself about reading a few pages of OMNI or any lounge thread makes one in the know about OMNI/lounges. Subcultures in any live organization and human societies are a must.

I don't recall if you take part in any lounge or not, kipper, but I know Mary and Sharon are not. In your opinion, having a community lounge thread moving to OMNI would change it and/or make it better? OMNI doesn't have "it's own little clique and not open to everyone?"

The way I see what's happening is OMNIites are attacking lounge threads, thinking this will make OMNI not red-hair stepchild and/or second class. That finding-holes-in-lounge-threads approach is not going to help OMNIites to get what they want. It's not in line with the community spirit either.

Are we really thinking for the betterment of FT community?
As a recent new member to the Community Lounge, I have to agree with Lin. I stumbled upon it by accident, and the arguement that it is one big clique is far from correct. I hate to be blunt, but you couldn't be more wrong. It is one of the most welcoming places I have visited on FT, far more welcoming than many other places. It turns out many of the members live in/travel to the SFO area. As a new resident in SFO, literally not knowing anyone, the members of the lounge took me under the wing and I have made many great friends in the real world. The lounge has nothing but welcoming to many new people, myself included. This real life networking would have never took place had this lounge been located in the OMNI, as that is not a place I visit. This real life connection also led to a major meetup in Tokyo with FT members... I think the lounge deserves to stay where it is at.

I also have to ask this question. As a newer member to FT, what is the big deal about post count? Is it really that big of a deal to some of you? Its just a number. If it is so contentious about what counts and what doesn't, why not remove the post count altogether. Then everyone is on an even playing field.

Last edited by ryandc99; Jul 28, 2011 at 10:47 pm