FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - trouble with Agoda auto-currency-conversion
Old Jul 26, 2011, 2:39 pm
Frank8899

JieJie, if I understand you correctly you are saying that: Agoda tries to charge the final amount using interbank exchange rate? But sometimes it is out of step because they only update the exchange rate a few times a day.

This may be true; but I think it is not the case. I think they use live update, but put in a 2.5% profit margin. This is what Amazon does as well, they use live update but give themselves a 4% profit margin from the fair inter-bank exchange rate.

In any case, I have no problem with Agoda or Amazon make 2.5% (or 4%) profit margin. Both company offer you the choice of not using their currency exchange, but pay in the native currency.

If you pay native currency, then Agoda/Amazon make no money from you from the exchange. They just make money on the hotel/book/dvd that you buy.

The problem with Agoda lately is: I am not given that choice any more. They auto convert for me without asking.....
I just talk to their support and explain what happen. The support staff refunded the 2.5% profit they made from me without any hassle (about $40 USD). So I am thinking there is a problem with their system, thus refund of 2.5% is very common.

>>>>I don't know why you were charged in AUD instead of USD. But that selection is on the booking information page, what you "view" the hotel rates in isn't the final selection. Is it possible you inadvertently overlooked or forgot to change your billing selection to USD this time?

Nah. I was pretty careful. From my previous experience and what Agoda staff tell me there should be a small pop up box asking me if I want USD or AUD. I use to see it, now it never pops up....

>>>>Remember that Agoda's policy (or any website's) is separate from any fees charged by your own bank for foreign transactions or foreign currency transactions. So, everything has to be taken into account holistically when figuring out what the best deal is for the way you want to pay.

Yup. I have a second credit card from a different bank. This bank charges 4% profit margin from the fair interbank exchange rate. So if I had to choose between this bank or Agoda, I would choose Agoda to do the currency conversion.