Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

trouble with Agoda auto-currency-conversion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

trouble with Agoda auto-currency-conversion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I still believe the issue to be that an unfavourable currency exchange rate was used when converting to AED rather than the conversion was done wrongly, on the wrong date etc. This is the core of the DCC scam - when converting to the currency of the card issuer the customer wil end up paying more as the exchange rate is worse than the rate applied by the card issuer. You will easily lose 3,5% - 5% on the conversation.

Originally Posted by stiwi
For me the way this DCC works is a scam but it is not only related to Agoda, it is a worldwide scam. It should always default to the local (local, country) currency unless you specifically request to be otherwise.
This is spot on.

Originally Posted by stiwi
I have never heard of DCC rates being favorable for the customer anywhere in the world, so I am not sure what is the point of the DCC at all.
The point is to increase the revenue to the vendors (or their banks). I'm quite confident that the vendors somehow make a profit when applying DCC - otherwise DCC would never work/be used by the vendors.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:56 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
The point is they didnt do a conversion or they locked it in when I booked in Sept.

They gave an indicative rate ie the 23k (In Sept) then said you'll be charged on the day of payment (Jan).

Amazingly the rate hadn't changed and I was charged 23k

Its just not transparent and not what or how they said they'd charge. I work for a bank - there is no way we'd get away with what they've just done to me.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I got a refund of most of the exchange rate (1500aed)

Full credit to agoda for doing the right thing and quickly
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:07 am

Agoda Currency Rip off

Appears to operate currency scams! In my recent bookings they charged in USD despite me selecting the local currency. They can then make small additional currency gains and the customer losses. I wrote to Agoda customer service about this and despite proving with a screenshot of the transaction in Thai Baht and that they then charged me in USD they would not correct it. It only cost me about 2-3$ more than if I had paid in the local currency but if they do this on millions of transactions that is millions of $USD gains for them and losses for customers.

Unbelievable that complaints department would not correct it when I provided proof. They insisted my credit card was in USD even though it is a UK card and I am a UK resident. Appalled a company this size can operate what appears to be a scam. Also their feedback line has appeared to be in reverse so the lowest feedback score it translates to the highest! Makes VW look like an honest company!
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:12 pm

Angry Agoda exchange rate scam

Please be aware that Agoda is currently charging a more than 10% !! premium on the KRW/EUR exchange rate.

I questioned their customer service several times but they only sent standard answers and don’t want to go into detail.

Anyone else who did experience this crazy percentage ?

As this is an outrageous percentage and I strongly recommend to be very careful with your currency when you are going to book thru Agoda
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I just did a dummy booking on Agoda.com to test your theory.

Hotel booked in KRW was priced at 125,413

In USD was 106.00

In EUR was 95.00

So Agoda is estimating a KRW/EUR rate of approx 1320. The mid-market KRW/EUR rate is 1328 or so.

Looks to me like the Agoda rate is right where it should be. I fail to see the "scam".

(You do realize that Agoda adds any taxes and/or service charges after you select the hotel, right? So if there's a 10% service charge, it's added at checkout - which may account for why there may appear to be a differential from the price you initially saw quoted and what is actually charged.)
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I just did a dummy booking on Agoda.com to test your theory.

Hotel booked in KRW was priced at 125,413

In USD was 106.00

In EUR was 95.00

So Agoda is estimating a KRW/EUR rate of approx 1320. The mid-market KRW/EUR rate is 1328 or so.

Looks to me like the Agoda rate is right where it should be. I fail to see the "scam".

(You do realize that Agoda adds any taxes and/or service charges after you select the hotel, right? So if there's a 10% service charge, it's added at checkout - which may account for why there may appear to be a differential from the price you initially saw quoted and what is actually charged.)
The total final price of my booking was KRW 616150 (incl. tax etc.) Agoda debited my CC for EUR 514 which is a rate of approx. 1199. I believe this is very very unfavourable, you better select your own currency and don’t let Agoda do that for you.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:30 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Gypsy Fboek

The total final price of my booking was KRW 616150 (incl. tax etc.) Agoda debited my CC for EUR 514 which is a rate of approx. 1199. I believe this is very very unfavourable, you better select your own currency and don’t let Agoda do that for you.
I'm relatively certain that Agoda submitted a charge of KRW 616150 to your bank/credit card company.

Once that happens, the bank/credit card company determines the exchange rate conversion to euros, not Agoda. I suspect your bank and/or credit card company charges a foreign transaction fee too, which would account for a certain percentage of what you perceive to be an "Agoda scam".
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I'm relatively certain that Agoda submitted a charge of KRW 616150 to your bank/credit card company.

Once that happens, the bank/credit card company determines the exchange rate conversion to euros, not Agoda. I suspect your bank and/or credit card company charges a foreign transaction fee too, which would account for a certain percentage of what you perceive to be an "Agoda scam".
I checked again with both Agoda & my bank and you are not correct they charged me in EUR.

Agoda uses different partners and state; “ Agoda’s rates come from our most updated, independent partners. As Agoda works with different partners, we are unable to share a specific source.” So it is Agoda (or their selected partner) who sets the very unfavourable exchange rate. Agoda refunded a part of the difference after my complaint.

Diplomatico likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
It is well known Agoda uses unfavourable exchange rates...you read this all the time on other travel websites.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Gypsy Fboek

I checked again with both Agoda & my bank and you are not correct they charged me in EUR.

Agoda uses different partners and state; “ Agoda’s rates come from our most updated, independent partners. As Agoda works with different partners, we are unable to share a specific source.” So it is Agoda (or their selected partner) who sets the very unfavourable exchange rate. Agoda refunded a part of the difference after my complaint.

I stand corrected. Thank you for the updated information and I'm happy to hear that you were refunded at least part of your "Agoda tax".
Old Jun 8, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Let me repeat - if you want to pay in the currency of the hotel, you need to change the currency of the webpage to show prices in the local currency (upper right corner). As default rates will be displayed in your currency (and then your cc will also be charged in the same currency after Agoda using very unfavourable exchange rate) but you are able change that yourself. So Agoda converting the amount at unfavourable rates can be avoided.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.