FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Layover and Stopover Rules
View Single Post
Old Jul 22, 2011, 7:22 pm
sheremetyevo

Programs: UA 2P, DL, FL A+ Elite, AA
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000
No, that previous post is completely different, although my experience in booking that flight was the impetus for this thread. I ended up doing a stopover in a city that is part of a published route, and could not do one in a city that was not part of a published route. However, layovers were not involved. Layovers are the key to my question.

My question is, can you book a stopover in a city that is not on a published route between the origin and the destination if you strategically use layovers. I've read The Points Guys' post on Delta stopovers several times but he does not touch upon this issue. His sample itinerary does not encounter this topic.

I think this is quite important as it determines whether the user can pick and choose his stopovers via creative layover selection, or if he is stuck with one or two stopover possibilities that are a part of the origin>destination published route.

Sorry if this is confusing, but if I am explaining my question clearly enough, you will notice it is actually very important in terms of reward flight flexibility.

Thanks again!

As far as I know, there's no difference between a stopover and a layover in the routing rules. Someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the only difference between the two is stopover is > 24 hours, and layover is <24 hours or involves the next available flight.

None of the airlines on your itinerary (KLM, AF, DL, OK) offer published fares that involve a stopover/layover in Oslo (aka City C).