FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Limit on Earning Flex Miles with Presidential Plus CC
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:48 pm
tarheelnj

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Limit on Earning Flex Miles with Presidential Plus CC

I realize there is another thread specifically about the PPlat Card, but the title includes the words "New Look, More Benefits" and this news is neither.

CO/Chase will limit the ability to use the Flex miles or use them indefinitely.

Here is an excerpt from https://www.continental.com/web/en-U...splus/faq.aspx

How do I earn Flex Elite Qualification Miles (Flex EQMs)?

You'll earn 1,000 Flex EQMs for every $5,000 in purchases on your Continental Airlines Presidential Plus Card. Purchases are based on the open date of the Continental Airlines Presidential Plus Card account and not per calendar year. Once $5,000 in charge volume has been made on your Card, 1,000 Flex EQMs will automatically be deposited to your account. Effective Jan. 1, 2012, Flex EQMs will remain in your account during the calendar year in which they were earned, plus three additional calendar years and will then expire if not redeemed.

How do I use my Flex EQMs?

Your Flex EQMs will be displayed on your OnePass account statement and may be redeemed at any time and added to your earned EQM balance to upgrade your Elite status or increase your current EQM balance. Effective Jan. 1, 2012, Flex EQMs can be redeemed to achieve up to Platinum Elite status or the equivalent level in MileagePlus. You may call the OnePass Service Center at 1-713-952-1630 to redeem your Flex EQMs. You have until March 31 to apply these miles to a previous year's balance. For example, a customer earned 70,000 EQMs in 2009, enough to earn Gold Elite status for the 2010 Elite year. That customer has until March 31, 2010, to apply 5,000 Flex EQMs to his 2009 balance to attain Platinum Elite status for 2010.

Bad -
1. Three year expiration after year of earning
2. Max use to increase to Platinum status (can't use to reach 1K)

Good -
1. Don't have to apply flex miles by end of calendar year - can apply miles by March 31st of following year.

Result -
If you project you're going to be flying 75,000 EQM's for the next four years anyway, this benefit now has no use to you.