FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - trouble with Agoda auto-currency-conversion
Old Jul 16, 2011, 7:57 pm
jiejie

Programs: various
I've seen this on Agoda also, but I don't think this is Dynamic Currency Conversion (the China forum has a long sticky thread on the DCC scam). The most likely thing I figure it can be is a programming issue. Specifically, that Agoda doesn't adjust currency exchange rates on a daily basis, but instead periodically. In other words, the price per property per currency is loaded into the system, but the prices for each currency are not always connected to each other with a constantly-adjusting exchange rate. Therefore, in between periodic rate adjustments to the listed rates, divergence will be seen from the interbank exchange rate, when comparing any two currencies that have been actively moving against each other in the interim. This arbitrage can work for or against you--sometimes it makes Agoda rates a little better than elsewhere...other times a bit more, depending on the currency you want to be charged in.

Remember that Agoda's policy (or any website's) is separate from any fees charged by your own bank for foreign transactions or foreign currency transactions. So, everything has to be taken into account holistically when figuring out what the best deal is for the way you want to pay. I usually also compare the rates on at least 2-3 other booking sites, as Agoda isn't always the bottom-line best.

I don't know why you were charged in AUD instead of USD. But that selection is on the booking information page, what you "view" the hotel rates in isn't the final selection. Is it possible you inadvertently overlooked or forgot to change your billing selection to USD this time?

Last edited by jiejie; Jul 16, 2011 at 8:07 pm