FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Militarize TSA?
Thread: Militarize TSA?
View Single Post
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:53 pm
Maxwell Smart

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by jemctag
3. Showing of weapons may be more intimidating than Barney Fife-like screeners who likely worked at a fast food restaurant prior to getting their TSA uniform. The presence of military in airports throughout Europe as an example gives a greater sense of security, (at least to me).

But were those military personnel you saw in Europe doing actual screening, or just patrolling with weapons? And God forbid there should be an incident, just what could the military personnel do, other than open fire? How would that be better than having actual law enforcement officers patrolling?

As far as feeling safer seeing soldiers patrolling in airports, I am of the opposite opinion.The mission and training of military personnel is NOT the same as law enforcement. Speaking from a security standpoint, I for one feel uncomfortable in airports that are patrolled with military personnel and weapons, for this very reason- LE most certainly have extensive training in trying to ensure that civilians/bystanders are kept safe. Don't think military personnel have as much training in that regard. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just that they have 2 different missions, and are not interchangeable.