FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 32" LG LED HDTV 32LV2500 $299 (Planning to take it india)..will it work??
Old Jul 7, 2011, 11:56 am
Keyser
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
And often times, once you express your willingness to pay the duty and/or do things in an official way, the corrupt customs officers are no longer interested in you. My experiences:

1. I brought more alcohol than allowed (my mistake, I had misread the allowance amount, and was 0.5L over). Customs guy was obviously looking for a bribe to let it go, and I told him I'd be happy to pay the duty, and to please go get me the appropriate paperwork to do so. He disappeared, never to return, and while I was waiting for him, another customs guy just told me I was free to leave.

2. I had some personal electronics (laptop, portable CD player, etc.) that I was told would require a duty payment (and was hinted that a bribe would take care of it). I told them these were items that I would be taking back with me, and to please have my passport noted as such so I could show the items to customs inspectors upon departure. Suddenly they decided it was no longer an issue and let me leave.
my point exactly....once you are ready to do things the right way then the option of bribes doesn't come into question....