FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OT: EastCoast trains website and US credit card
Old Jul 5, 2011, 12:37 pm
salut0

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
OT: EastCoast trains website and US credit card

Just had a bloody annoyance dealing with customer service at East Coast trains and would like some advice. The situation:

* I wanted to buy two train tickets, total cost £49.50
* CCs I tried were rejected by the website: my bank says they can't see the charge, so it's an East Coast trains problem.
* I call East Coast Trains who tell me that US issued MC/Visa cards don't work on their website because the bank issuer in the USA is apparently not enrolled in the Verified Secure Code module they use.
* East Coast will sell me tickets by phone, but only at the lowest price available by phone: £71 or so (maybe per person, not sure).

What's the solution? It seems like they won't budge ("computer says no" kind of reply...).

I'm minded to just buy flights now and to h3ll with the train (even though it would be more relaxing by train, and the HEX will add another £30 at least). BA NCL-LHR prices at $50 each on ITA for the date in question.

Is there a solution? I'm really annoyed at this: MC and VISA are meant to be universally accepted if an organization/company says they accept them. It's not my fault US-issued cards don't have chip+pin or enrollment in whatever security system they've chosen to use on their website, and in every situation in the UK when I've been faced with a chip+pin request, it's been possible to use the card's magnetic strip and sign instead.

Any advice? Practical suggestions welcome...