FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Most miles you've ever put on an 'unlimited miles' car rental?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:53 am
WChou

About 650 miles in 14 hours. Some equipment was delivered the the wrong datacenter. To keep a project moving, rented a minivan and shuttled the equipment over to the proper site. Then a turned around and went home. When I was returning the van, the agent paused for a second and did a doubletake but didn't say anything.

Originally Posted by BearX220
3000+ miles in 40 hours, driving Washington DC to Seattle after 9/11. Avis gave us an unlimited-miles deal before figuring out that stranded businesspeople represented a huge, exploitable business opportunity. By the time we got back to Seattle folks trying to get home were being shafted right and left with insane drop-off or mileage fees.
BearX220, you just jogged some memories and I'm going OT. The office I worked at on 9/11 had dozens of people on the road and corporate told everyone to get home no matter the cost. Some took the bus, some took the train, one even had his sister in law drive him. The best stories came from those that were able to get rental cars. Besides the rental staples like Ford Taurii, Chevy Impala, and Dodge Avengers, people grabbed any vehicle they could. 4 engineers managed to squeeze into a Mitsubishi Eclipse for a 1,000+ mile drive. There were quite a few got Jaguars, Corvettes, Mustangs, and other luxury brands. Some folks got Ryder and U-Haul box trucks. Need to track down the pic where we took the motley collection to the back of the parking lot and snapped a pic.