FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Life at RDU for AA elites?
View Single Post
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:14 am
edog22

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold
My wife and I have been PLT out of RDU for the past two years, primarily on leisure travel, and we really like our home airport. As other have mentioned, parking is easy (and relatively cheap) and the new terminal is really nice. There are some decent food options and lots of seats in the terminal have power outlets (both AC and USB). Clearing immigration/customs in RDU is usually faster than MIA or JFK and definitely less confusing. And it means not having to check your duty-free liquids

Most delays seem to come from weather elsewhere (I'm looking at you JFK and ORD) and the ground staff have been proactive in helping us change flights when that happens. A recent example from late April: trying to fly RDU-JFK-BRU (with a 2.5 hour layover) on four award tickets with friends we ran into a ground stop in JFK 10 min before boarding. An hour and a half later it was only getting worse so they put us on the RDU-LHR flight, connecting on BA to BRU. That wouldn't be an option from many other non-hubs... they even managed to get us exit row, which was supposedly unavailable when I looked online 20 min previously.

On a side note, we really love living in the Triangle- it's a good mix of north and south, and lot's of good restaurants.