Wiki Posts
Search

Life at RDU for AA elites?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2011, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (2.2mm), SPG Plat, Accor Plat
Life at RDU for AA elites?

My wife and I are considering moving to Chapel Hill, so I'm curious what life is like for frequent flyers based out of RDU. I'm sometimes Plat and sometimes EXP, so what I can expect for getting bumped up (in general) and how is the airport from an operational standpoint? What's the general experience like?

As always, thanks to each of you that contributes to this outstanding forum.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by jefftf1
My wife and I are considering moving to Chapel Hill, so I'm curious what life is like for frequent flyers based out of RDU. I'm sometimes Plat and sometimes EXP, so what I can expect for getting bumped up (in general) and how is the airport from an operational standpoint? What's the general experience like?

As always, thanks to each of you that contributes to this outstanding forum.
The RDU airport is nice and quiet. The lounge is on the upper floors and you have a view of the people beneath. The lounge isn't very big though.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 8:57 pm

Programs: Soon to be free agent...
The new Terminal 2 opened this year and I find it very nice. Security checkpoints rarely take more than 10 minutes. While the AC is nice with a good view of the terminal, it is located in the middle of the terminal (near gates C1-C3) and the AA gates are at the end (A19+) so it always take 5-10 minutes to go club to gate.

As a plat last year I had a better than 50% upgrade success to DFW and ORD, with 100% to/from LGA (8 flights). My wife as EXP fared better, of course; EVIPs on our last trip to LHR cleared about 2 weeks in advance.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I was based out of RDU for three years while in grad school at UNC-Chapel Hill, and I did just fine. In fact, I first earned EXP status while there! Chapel Hill is about 30 minutes from the airport, and traffic is almost never a factor once you get out of the immediate vicinity of the UNC campus. Never had any traffic issues on I-40!

The LHR flight is nice. Let's hope it sticks around. The ball's in GSK's court on that one, but my suspicion is that it will stay for the time being.

The new AC is reasonably good, and offers showers. Let's hope they've resolved the lack of GSM coverage inside the club. Carole, the afternoon bartender, is fantastic! (and she actually works for AA, since it's a small club)

Parking at RDU is a dream, especially if you are fortunate enough to become an RDU Passport member (I was part of the trial). Proximity swipe in, swipe out, get your receipt via email the next day. Couldn't be better! (If only PANYNJ could institute this kind of thing at the NYC airports!)

Just to warn you, though: AA's F meal service RDU to/from DFW and ORD is much more rudimentary than in the NYC-DFW/ORD or LAX-DFW/ORD markets. For example, no ice cream on DFW-RDU Dinner flights, only the horrible cheesecake. ORD-RDU is very basic indeed....breakfast is Continental only....in fact, the route is partially Eagalized.

Basically, RDU is no longer considered as important as it once was to AA, with regard to yields, competition, etc. Hence, domestic service is not at the same level as NYC or LAX.

It's a shame, too. AA could do great things if it re-hubbed RDU. Why? Well, let's list the reasons why RDU would be a great year-round connecting hub for AA:
1) Lack of snow! (unlike ORD)
2) ATC delays are ZERO.
3) Far fewer t-storms than DFW/ORD.
4) Far fewer tropical weather issues than MIA.
5) Solid amount of O/D traffic....but frankly who cares for a midcon location? A large majority of AA pax at DFW are connecting.
6) Could allow AA to be rid of STL once and for all!
7) I'm sure there are others.....

Last edited by ESpen36; Jun 28, 2011 at 9:13 pm
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
I endorse the other comments.

AA has lost considerable market share here over the last 15 years as flights have been dropped, but AA still provides a reasonable degree of service. There remains a significant base of AAdvantage elites, many of whom earned lifetime qualifications 1987-2002.

The big winners of market share here in the last decade have been DL and WN. Depending on your travel patterns, you may find it necessary or more convenient to fly them from time to time. Amtrak also operates to/from the Northeast Corridor.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:11 pm

I agree with all the positive sentiments about the new terminal, parking, and the AC. It's one of the easiest mid-sized airports to get in and out of, the T2 baggage handling system is lightning fast, and you can park a one-minute walk and an elevator ride away from the terminal. The club is small but very welcoming - both the desk staff and the bartenders give personal attention that you don't often see at larger, busier clubs.

If you're going anywhere *other* than the east coast, AA actually works very well out of RDU. Just realize that east coast nonstop options are limited to NYC, DCA, and MIA - and there is no easy hub for you to connect through if you will be travelling frequently to other east coast destinations. I've rarely missed an upgrade even as Plat outside of the heavy business travel hours.

As long as you realize that you might occasionally have to use other airlines to get east coast nonstops, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
While stateside I base out of SEA, which is situated in an MSA roughly three times larger than RDU's and has much thinner service from AA. We have 7-10 daily departures to DFW, 3-6 dailies to ORD and the lonely old stalwart JFK flight. RDU has service to those three cornerstones and MIA, plus non-hub flights including Eagle to Washington and widebodies to London (my other home, incidentally). As non-hubs go, RDU does better than most, and I'd be thrilled if AA offered anything similar to that level of service here. Along with the comfortable AC and easy nature of the RDU airport itself, I'd say you'll do well with AA.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:57 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Wirelessly posted (Treo: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Nexus One Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

It may also be worth noting that RDU is on the bad side from a TSA point of view. Nude-o-scope happy, extremely "discouraging" of opt outs, and generally rude.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
One of the nice things about the AC (other than its new and seems to be rarely crowded) there is a shower. So if you have worked on day and want a shower before evening travel or come in the late afternoon but have immediate plans and want to shower its perfect.

Also appears to be an airport with few delays.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
Wirelessly posted (Treo: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Nexus One Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

It may also be worth noting that RDU is on the bad side from a TSA point of view. Nude-o-scope happy, extremely "discouraging" of opt outs, and generally rude.

Agreed. I very much dislike the local TSA staff at RDU. Much more rude than at places like JFK and LGA (I know, surprising!).
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:16 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by ESpen36
I was based out of RDU for three years while in grad school at UNC-Chapel Hill, and I did just fine. In fact, I first earned EXP status while there! Chapel Hill is about 30 minutes from the airport, and traffic is almost never a factor once you get out of the immediate vicinity of the UNC campus. Never had any traffic issues on I-40!

The LHR flight is nice. Let's hope it sticks around. The ball's in GSK's court on that one, but my suspicion is that it will stay for the time being.

The new AC is reasonably good, and offers showers. Let's hope they've resolved the lack of GSM coverage inside the club. Carole, the afternoon bartender, is fantastic! (and she actually works for AA, since it's a small club)

Parking at RDU is a dream, especially if you are fortunate enough to become an RDU Passport member (I was part of the trial). Proximity swipe in, swipe out, get your receipt via email the next day. Couldn't be better! (If only PANYNJ could institute this kind of thing at the NYC airports!)

Just to warn you, though: AA's F meal service RDU to/from DFW and ORD is much more rudimentary than in the NYC-DFW/ORD or LAX-DFW/ORD markets. For example, no ice cream on DFW-RDU Dinner flights, only the horrible cheesecake. ORD-RDU is very basic indeed....breakfast is Continental only....in fact, the route is partially Eagalized.

Basically, RDU is no longer considered as important as it once was to AA, with regard to yields, competition, etc. Hence, domestic service is not at the same level as NYC or LAX.

It's a shame, too. AA could do great things if it re-hubbed RDU. Why? Well, let's list the reasons why RDU would be a great year-round connecting hub for AA:
1) Lack of snow! (unlike ORD)
2) ATC delays are ZERO.
3) Far fewer t-storms than DFW/ORD.
4) Far fewer tropical weather issues than MIA.
5) Solid amount of O/D traffic....but frankly who cares for a midcon location? A large majority of AA pax at DFW are connecting.
6) Could allow AA to be rid of STL once and for all!
7) I'm sure there are others.....
Hey!!! I take umbrage with that comment.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by PlatinumScum

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Agreed. I very much dislike the local TSA staff at RDU. Much more rude than at places like JFK and LGA (I know, surprising!).
Hey, its still considered the "south". But TSA is definitely without the southern hospitality.

OP, where are your primary travels going to take you? You have direct flights to Chicago, NY, Miami, and Dallas primarily which is a plus. Its not like you have many other options. Upgrade chances are very good unless you are traveling peak business hours which obviously will favor EXPs more.

If you primarily travel for leisure, then it is a good choice as you are one stop away for most AA flights and usually yields in higher mileage earning. Also, the fares tend to be cheaper compared to a hub city, and also due to competition.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold
My wife and I have been PLT out of RDU for the past two years, primarily on leisure travel, and we really like our home airport. As other have mentioned, parking is easy (and relatively cheap) and the new terminal is really nice. There are some decent food options and lots of seats in the terminal have power outlets (both AC and USB). Clearing immigration/customs in RDU is usually faster than MIA or JFK and definitely less confusing. And it means not having to check your duty-free liquids

Most delays seem to come from weather elsewhere (I'm looking at you JFK and ORD) and the ground staff have been proactive in helping us change flights when that happens. A recent example from late April: trying to fly RDU-JFK-BRU (with a 2.5 hour layover) on four award tickets with friends we ran into a ground stop in JFK 10 min before boarding. An hour and a half later it was only getting worse so they put us on the RDU-LHR flight, connecting on BA to BRU. That wouldn't be an option from many other non-hubs... they even managed to get us exit row, which was supposedly unavailable when I looked online 20 min previously.

On a side note, we really love living in the Triangle- it's a good mix of north and south, and lot's of good restaurants.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:38 am

I don't know what TSA agents y'all have been dealing with, but I've had nothing but good experiences. The agents checking my ID always wish me a good flight, I've opted out with no problems, and chatted with a number of agents.

Maybe I'm just friendly ;-)

As for AA - If they cut anymore flights, I'm jumping ship to DL. STL and BOS were big ones for me. Actually, there's not much left to cut! LHR is the saving grace.

Originally Posted by vrbaba
Hey, its still considered the "south". But TSA is definitely without the southern hospitality.

OP, where are your primary travels going to take you? You have direct flights to Chicago, NY, Miami, and Dallas primarily which is a plus. Its not like you have many other options. Upgrade chances are very good unless you are traveling peak business hours which obviously will favor EXPs more.

If you primarily travel for leisure, then it is a good choice as you are one stop away for most AA flights and usually yields in higher mileage earning. Also, the fares tend to be cheaper compared to a hub city, and also due to competition.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 9:40 am

Programs: AA, AS, WN
AC

The AC there is great. If you're into junk food--they have Krispy Kreme donuts sometimes in the mornings. The showers are a plus for me--and Anna, one of the AC agents, is awesome and helpful. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.