FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Birthday Dash across the Atlantic (AA Y/BA F)
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:16 am
Short hair Francis

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Were they not familiar with the speeds at which aircraft travel? I like to fly as well, but why did you want to subject yourself to a longhaul in Y instead of celebrating your birthday with your friends at school?
Well its not that immigration doesn't know the speed of plane travel, its just surprising to see someone of my stature to be doing so.
I don't really consider 6 hrs in Y to be overly horrible when the loads are 1/3rd full, as I said in the introduction, I could've flown AA F but at such dismal loads, no reason to spend the extra miles.
I always fly somewhere on my birthday, its the best present I can give myself but I did travel to LHR to celebrate my birthday with friends there, one of which was a very close friend.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
AA meal to LHR on AM flights are good in Y.

However the meal in Y on the evening flights are "mediocre" hospital cafeteria style food. no desert. Just a measly cookie.

The food from LHR westbound used to be excellent. But since a while now the quality has been really reduced. No proper desert (unlike before now a cookie) and the pizza which used to be thick full of cheese has been reduced to a paper thin dough with hardly no cheese.

I find BA Y better except for the legroom which is better on AA. AA is actually 32" vs 31" on BA.

As to "free tickets" on BA it's a bit of a joke. I pay nearly $500 for a free ticket on BA from NYC to GVA in Y compared to only $100 on CO/ LX due to huge London taxes and fuel charges.

How much was your BA OW Award?

The AA morning Y catering was better than I thought, thought i had to plug my nose and swallow
I've had no experience with AA ex-LHR catering,
the fuel surcharge was $500~ i think