Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A Birthday Dash across the Atlantic (AA Y/BA F)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2011, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC

Introduction

During my 4 years of college, I have never spent my birthday weekend at the University. Most college aged people would usually get themselves absolutely hammered at a bar or club, a girl or maybe a couple to join for the evening. Some might get a hotel room at the city to start the night but that’s the upper limits of what most college kids do anyway.
Being a frequent flyer and all, I strived to separate my experience from most other college aged people.

Back in March, I talked to a couple of my close buddies for a possible birthday trip, New York City, Washington, DC, or Chicago, something reasonably close to Niagara that most of my buddies can afford it. Unfortunately, since my b-day is close to exam time, most of them were unwilling to commit since it was our senior year. Where was another Las Vegas expedia deal when you need one, hehe!

Well what else can I do, I called up my NYC friend to see if she was interested in going to Aruba for the weekend, Hyatt Regency Aruba and AA 75L Business Class. She was also unwilling to commit due to family commitment. During that time, I booked an Aruba trip for myself even if it was just myself that was going.

During an online conversation with another close buddies, he apparently ended his hockey contract in Finland and is now back to London to teach. 2 wks prior to this trip, I had a trip starting out of Pittsburgh due to scheduling, on the drive home, I thought, maybe I should fly to London on a weekend. As long as I can use my mileage account efficiently, I can spring for a Transatlantic weekend trip. I drop him a message the next day and apparently he was open for the weekend. Ok, I found company then how to I get there, I obviously want to try British Airways First since I would be able to start from London and get to enjoy Concorde room, but if I want to try BA F, then I need to cost cut elsewhere, alright daytime AA Y can’t be that bad. Due to my tight scheduling, I booked myself on the daytime New York Kennedy to London Heathrow flight

Then few days before the trip, what should I do, coach for 20K or First for 62.5K?????
I keep bouncing back at forth with the ticket, AA probably was pissed off that I was keeping changing my ticket but in the end, I stuck with coach. That was because both YYZ-JFK and JFK-LHR sectors were both extremely empty.

Route Map

Flights (3 Flights, 7354 Miles)
All Flights flown
American Airlines 3860 – Toronto to New York Kennedy (Economy Class)
American Airlines 142 – New York Kennedy to London Heathrow (Economy Class)
British Airways 99 – London Heathrow to Toronto (First Class)

Trip Parts
Part 1 – What!!! You flew AA Coach!
Part 2 – A 22nd Birthday night never forgotten, birthday partying at Andaz Liverpool Street and London
Part 3 – The Double Oops! Concorde Room experience at London Heathrow
Part 4 – A mediocre “First” try onboard BA First LHR-YYZ

Links to Other Written Trip Reports
Click Here for Other Trip Reports

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Nov 6, 2013 at 8:25 am Reason: All Completed :)
Old May 18, 2011, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Part 1 – What!!! You flew AA Coach!

As I said earlier, I was debating heavily on either flying coach vs. First Class
Coach was 20K off-peak, Business was 50K, First was 62.5K
Well, Business make no sense since I usually can use one of my EVIPs to upgrade to Business anyway.
Then there is coach, its cheap and it saves me miles for trips later in the year if I need it but what if I get stuck between 2 fat guys with 31 inch pitch, I wouldn’t want that.
Then there is First, you know what your getting for First, a lie flat seat but it’s American First and I’ve done it before already.

One day before departure, I’ve double check the loads, 142 was looking close to only 30 percent full, as much as I like to fly First on the way there, it made no sense to waste miles on a flight like this.

Apr 1, 2011 – Friday
AA 3860 YYZ-LGA 6:25am – 8:10am (CR7/Y)
AA 142 JFK-LHR 9:25am – 9:30pm (772/Y)

Got to airport parking at 4am, wait wait wait, 25 mins for a shuttle to T3 in lower 30s weather, really? You make me miss Buffalo and Pittsburgh. I badly need to find a better parking place, most of the places at YYZ just sucks, high price, bad service or both. The airport this morning was as pack as spring break, immigration wait was about 30-40 mins then into YYZ admiral’s club I go. Even the AAngels noted I don’t seem to come through the club as much as I do anymore, that is true as I have shifted most of my flying to BUF and PIT. The AAngel was able to get me the bulkhead aisle on the CR7 even a blocked seat next to me since the flight was only 20/56 in Y.

Down to the Eagle room also known as B6, I don’t even bother going early down there since they never board at T-30 anyway, so I always wait until I get the nod from the YYZ AAngels

American Airlines 3860
Toronto to New York Kennedy
6:25am – 8:10am, 1 hr 45 min flight
Economy Class, Seat 5B
Food – Beverage Service
Equipment – Canadian Regional Jet 700 Operated by American Eagle

Get onto the outside tarmac, which CR7 is for JFK? they have a BOS, LGA, JFK and ORD service all within 25 mins of each other, get onto the JFK bound CR7, that #1 FA seems very familiar, where was she from???

The good part about row 5 is that it has the best legroom on the whole CR7, the unfortunate part and unknowingly to me was that the Y seats were as hard as bricks but having pull 2 all-nighters prior to this trip, no way I was going to be able to stay up. Take-off, slept through completely passed out until final approach, during this taxi to the runway, a gentleman in 3C kept having to be reminded to shut off electronics prior to take-off. Woke up when we’re just begun our descent into New York Kennedy.

I finally remembered this flight attendant as ORD based, I met her last March on an ORD-YYZ 1 class CR7 which I was seated in 1C. She’s somewhere between 28-35, speaks fluent French so if you fly ORD-YYZ route, you might see her. Either way after landing, Mr DYKWIA in 3C decides to be a d-bag and speak in loudest Hebrew possible so the whole plane can hear. Having remembering the #1 FA, I decide to prank the DYKWIA by kicking his chair every 20 secs which he still didn’t recognize. On the way out, I had a nice talk with the #1 seeing she also vaguely remembers me as an EXP before, there can’t be too many under 25 minority EXP right, lol We briefly reacquainted before the cleaning crew came and kicked me out and she was such a sweetheart for giving me the EXP benny of mini of rums after we landed, yes some booze for the long haul coach flight ahead.

I don’t know why, American terminal at JFK looks very good but I seem to always have to go from domestic to int’l all the time here and it takes forever to walk here.

Into the JFK Flagship Lounge, some quick breakfast here, no time for shower then back to gate 14 for the LHR flight

JFK American Airlines Flagship Lounge

American Airlines Boeing 777-200

American Airlines 142
New York Kennedy to London Heathrow
9:25am – 9:30pm, 7 hr 5 min flight
Economy Class, Seat 20B
Food – Breakfast, Snack
Equipment – Boeing 777-200

Guess I bet correctly today, load were 75 out of 198 Y seats so no one had a neighbor if they chose to seat separately. I took 20B for its legroom, AAngels blocked 20A for me although I didn’t think anyone would have the nerve to sit next to me on today’s flight. Row 31 was previously all taken a long time ago, but was only had aisle occupied on the flight. Captain notified the flight would take 6 hr 9 mins today between New York Kennedy and London Heathrow with possible turbulence issues during the first part of the flight. With the lack of sleep, I pass out before take-off.

The turbulence would come back to haunt the coach cabin as Business Class finished the Breakfast service rather quickly. However, due to turbulence, we didn’t get our service in the back until 2 hrs after take-off.

AA 142 Breakfast

Bread
Croissant with jam or butter

Fruits
Side Fruit Plate
With orange, Cantalope, and grapes

Main Course
Southwest Omelette
Cheese Omelette served with southwest sauce with corn and beans

Or Pancake
Cream batter Pancakes served with Syrup

Snack Pack
Tropical Nut mix
Walkers Shortbread
Pepperridge Sesame crackers

Meal was close to how most domestic F meals were without the plates of course, and the tropical nut mix was pretty good, the AAngel was right, AA has been working somewhat hard on its int’l serving.

The FA were really good and interactive on this flight, meal was a lot better than my expectations for AA Y. The FA also gave me my EXP booze and I started my weekend rather early. The only problem I have with AA tends to be the headset, it always seems more fuzzy on AA then any other airline and this was no expection, thankfully 20A made itself rather useful.

AA AVOD can use some upgrades but overall the entertainment system wasn’t as bad as I have experienced lately with LH and later with BA. I ended up watching an episode of the Simpsons and start doing some work that I had saved up prior to my flight.
Snack was served approx. 1 Ľ hr out from LHR, unfortunately the FA did warn the core was a bit frozen which was definitely true.

AA 142 Snack
Turkey and Cheese Sandwich with Dijon mustard
Chocolate Biscotti

Everything got cleaned up 40 mins prior to landing, and with little to no circling above London, we landed into Heathrow 15 mins ahead of schedule. We landed at gate 35 which took a 15 min walk to immigration, I was back into London, ready to party!

Next Part
Part 2 – A 22nd Birthday never forgotten, Birthday partying at Andaz Liverpool Street and London
Old May 18, 2011, 8:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Economy?! You?! Why didn't you claim a middle row in the back? Many prefer that to NGBC
Old May 18, 2011, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Great start Francis. Looking forward to reading the rest.
Old May 20, 2011, 2:09 am

Programs: BA
I'm flying LHR-YYZ in BA F in less than two weeks, so I'm very interested to read that section when it's available.

I'm also interested what immigration at YYZ is like upon arrival as I've heard horror stories about how long it takes in the evening.
Old May 20, 2011, 3:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Always glad to see a report from you, very nice so far, can't wait for the return!
Old Jun 9, 2011, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Sorry that I'm taking so long once again, this never seems to end for me

Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
Economy?! You?! Why didn't you claim a middle row in the back? Many prefer that to NGBC
Wasn't planning to sleep much on the flight, I had my laptop bag act as a legrest and it was fine.

Originally Posted by malkie
I'm flying LHR-YYZ in BA F in less than two weeks, so I'm very interested to read that section when it's available.

I'm also interested what immigration at YYZ is like upon arrival as I've heard horror stories about how long it takes in the evening.
I had one of the oldest BA 772s, the AVOD system was 90's style cassette type with 8/12 non-functioning audio channels and non functioning power outlets.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Part 2 – A 22nd Birthday never forgotten, Birthday partying at Andaz Liverpool Street and London

Disclaimer – Content might not be suited for younger audience (PG-13 to possibly R rated), parental guidance is advised

Moderators – Please feel free to edit if you believe content is not suitable

A quick parking job at Gate 33 at LHR, a 10 min walk to immigration, why are all walks at Heathrow from gate to immigration always seem to take an eternity. No issues, not even a word and straight through immigration into England, 2nd time in 4 months. Another 10 min walk to the tube for the Piccadilly Line.

About 1/3rd of a way into central London, a couple of Eastern European girls got on at Hounslow Center, maybe I’m personally be too ruralized if there is such a word but I’m not used to seeing open drinking, eating KFC and girls doing make-up on the tube, a good sign for the weekend to come?

Ended up agreeing to meet my friends at Piccadilly Circus at 11pm on a Friday night, not the smartest choice I’ve made in life, there were people, and people and people. It took over 25 mins to track them down in the tube. It was 11:15pm when I finally found him, I look spiffy in a party suit ready to go and my buddy look like the biggest bum, ruffy hair, unshaven and all, lol. Can’t believe our taxpayer were paying this guy to teach. Look more of a skater punk then a teacher ROFLMAO and the first thing my buddy would do is to try to get me to go out tonight and go pick up numbers, haha! He did ended up getting one on street level before me and the other friend ganged up on him to grab him home.

Was fortunate to have a buddy’s place to crash for the night, saved a lot of resources for the next night to go crazy, a little hunger at 12am and McDonalds would suffice, penny pinching time
A little bed-time talk with the friend, he asked me about the Andaz. I explained as a younger style brand from the Hyatt group, he did some research into the hotel and the picture just wowed! Off to snooze.

Wake up it’s 10am, my buddy was very surprised I had such a good sleep. Travel and loads of school work would do that to you. We’ve coordinated to meet my other friend at the Andaz at 12:30pm since neither of them lived remotely close to each other. Apparently during the night, my friend’s roommate whom I also knew came back and saw someone in the room, whom is it? It’s SHF, what do you mean, from Vancouver, and Niagara??? He flew over for a weekend, haha! She wasn’t the first person I drop the bombshell on, I surprised everybody on this trip. Did some catching up with some of my friends roommate then off to the Andaz to get everything set up for the night.

Back at the Andaz Liverpool Street

We really should coordinate what tube exit should we meet at since it took another 15 mins to find my buddy. Check-in was speedy and all 3 of us were served water and snacks while the process was done. Originally given a king room on the 5th floor, the room was a little smaller than what I’ve liked, call down for a large king room since I never got my upgrade, I can get it at 4pm. Not a problem, we need lunch since none of us have ate lunchand we need to call up people to party!!!

Easiest, filling lunch option was split a subway party tray (designed for 4-6 people/4 footlongs) between 3 of us. Drinks? Go back to the room, we’ll just have more water and juice from the fridge, simply love the Andaz for this. None of us showered in the morning? I guess we all were looking forward to a good shower, just go down to the gym, there are plenty of showers so we didn’t need to battle.

My last friend came just around 4pm, it took us forever to find him but he knew I was coming over for the weekend. Got the swap into the large king room, it was the same high ceiling room I had in January, in fact just next door to the suite I had last time.

A little bit more sleep before heading out to dinner. Dinner was at the pub across the street then grocery store for some booze shopping. We also had another friend joining us later on at night, unfortunately girls do take longer to get ready.

The year previous, I had celebrated my b-day with my closest buddy(same one in LHR this yr), another YYZ friend and El Chiflero in the NYC area. Stayed at Andaz Wall Street, revealing shower glass and all, all of us had some of the following poisons; Dominican Rum, a 24 of beer I think, a 350 ml of Grey Goose, and comp wine from the lobby. The result of that trip was I drove on 100-110 mph on the Penna turnpike, my YYZ friend puked everywhere, beside an ambulance, at the subway entrance on West 4th/NYU, passed out on toilet in the hotel room, puked two more times at gas station in Jersey, Pennsylvania the next morning. I tried to punch my buddy in the ball-sack, missed instead punching into his belt buckle and injured my hand and I also spit blood into the car window on the drive home.

Wonder what alcohol we bought for tonight, 1L of Morgans rum, 700 ml of Smirnoffs Vodka, 8 tall-boys of beer.
Back to the hotel room, a call for my welcome amenity and due to the previous non-upgrade, the manager comped an additional bottle of house white.
Plus the additional house red wine served at night, it was simply a crazy night.
Started just about 8pm, I started about 30 mins later since I’m the featherweight and any of you that have met me know I’m not joking. We first were in the room, then went down to the 1st level area to have our own mini-party there, one of the host even bought some extra glasses of red up.

Had some drunken fun poses for photos and stayed in the gallery area for about 45 mins, then went back to the room. Great, we already got 1 noise complaint! Not from music but we were talking too loud??? Weird, but we’re leaving so who gives a crap!

The host took some fantastic photos for us at the lobby then off to the tube, down to the Central Line then Piccadilly Line to Piccadilly Circus, drinking and dancing our way in the subway, even held up the tube for my buddy to get a number. The club for tonight was Tiger Tiger, there was four levels of dance floors, white smoke room, 70’s floor and it was simply fantastic. Two of my friends including my close buddy find some fun later the night, the female friend left relatively early alone since she partied the night before. My last friend stuck around since we couldn’t find the other two, had a lot of fun dancing drunk and conversing all night with a bunch of randoms and eventually went back to the Andaz about 2am.

I probably should only link this pic and not post it, view at discretion
Oh boy.......

The morning after………….. with McDs as drunken food

I woke up at about 6am, guess East Coast time finally caught up to me
What the, the other 2 weren’t back???
Alright, they’ve hooked with someone obviously but whom?

A warm shower to awaken oneself, then went to transfer the photos to the computer.
What did we do last night???

One, how in god’s name did we have a full bottle of white on the tube. the comp bottle was still sitting in the room empty of course.
Two, where are all these photos of randoms from, I don’t remember taking photos of myself and randoms together???
Third, I have 10 pounds in my wallet, how much did I spent at the bar???
Fourth, we spill red wine at the gallery and I even have my own proof

At least my breakfast is comped, tube is like 5 pounds and lunch will be at the Concorde Room.

My other friend in the room woke up around 8:30am, we eventually got a text back just around 9am saying they won’t make it back in time, have a safe flight! 5 mins later, their minds changed and they’ll be coming back. Well, they can come get breakfast at their own pace, I’m starving.

Down to Eastway for a very nice breakfast, some eggs, baked beans and meats will do the trick, we took our sweet time but we missed our friend coming back. They went straight to the room.

Here is the spill, I’m trying to keep this as PG 13 as I can.
1st of all, one of the friends took the 2nd bottle of white from the hotel and drank a full bottle in the tube in 20 mins. How I don’t know but the photo proofed it
2nd, they found two sorority girls from Pittsburgh, found the girls around 3am, they tried to convince the girls to come back to the room but the girls didn’t believe their friend, me had a great hotel room in London so they had loads of fun at the girls place. For the guy or the girl, I can’t say. The girl were all in a house of 10 all of sorority girls. One thing is for certain my birthday brings out the partiest and craziest natures of my friends for sure, I have a great time too but their stuff goes to the ridiculous level. All I can say it was a crazy ... 22nd birthday and I’ll leave it at that for your own conclusion.

I bid them farewell at Bank as they were going home, simply don’t think I can ever top this b-day ever in life, not even Andaz Amsterdam in 2012 can do it probably.
Simply amazing times….

Next Part
Old Jun 9, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Sounds like a normal Tuesday night to me.

I don't think it was too R-rated
Old Jun 9, 2011, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Superb.

Greg
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:57 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
I cant wait to see why your BA flight was mediocre, I'm planning to fly first!
Old Jun 11, 2011, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Nice first half of the report, but then the writing quality somewhat diminished

Looking forward to the BA F report...
Old Jun 13, 2011, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
Sounds like a normal Tuesday night to me.

I don't think it was too R-rated
Tuesday night? I need to drink more then but again its my senior year
Well better safe than sorry right, someone probably still remembers the controversy FT had about the Drunk & Screw DO

Originally Posted by greg99
Superb
Thank You

Originally Posted by GodAtum
I cant wait to see why your BA flight was mediocre, I'm planning to fly first!
Well, keep popping back and hopefully i've updated it

Originally Posted by Genius1
Nice first half of the report, but then the writing quality somewhat diminished
Oh no! School term is over, my english is slipping
Old Jun 13, 2011, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Back onto the tube, click clink, it took about 1hr 30 mins to get to LHR T-5. As to the idiot who thinks paying for a 10 pound oyster card in 1 pence is very fun, karma comes back at you. Took me 10 mins to refund the Oyster card

Went back upstairs to the departure level, took me about 5 mins to find the right spots. T5 is a very beautiful terminal despite its inaugural history problems with baggage.

London Heathrow Terminal 5

First Class Line took approx. 5 mins, unfortunately the area doesn’t quite toppled the LH check-in experience. Not even close

Security Line was equally unimpressive, the priority line were all kinda just there with the regular line so it was open to abuse. Have to say why BA doesn’t develop a full premium security checkpoint when they built the terminal, no clue but not the best offering.
I had a little bit of trouble looking for the Concorde Room, they certainly developed the terminal so people would shop.

Well I had reserve my cabanas for 12:45pm, and since I was so effing late coming in from Central London. I was in front of the Concorde Room They gave away my cabana for good reason and the spa was also not available til 4pm and I’ll be on the plane by then.

London Heathrow BA Concorde Room

Champagne Bar

Outside Section

The dining was very good, certainly keeping par with LH F Lounge in FRA and LX F Lounge in ZRH
Concorde Dining

Soup of the Day, Pumpkin Soup

Caesar Salad

Main Course, Spaghetti allo Scoglio

Dessert, Treacle tart with Vanilla Ice Cream but they ran out of tarts

Concorde Cabana

The food was comparable with LH/LX even though the choices were somewhat hard for me to pick, they weren’t my choices food. And I certainly didn’t get cut off from clams as I did last year in ZRH.
My lounge experience was alright, I didn’t get time in the cabana nor the spa but at least they accommodate my request for a couple pics which was good, the computer room was fantastic and converting the Concorde chairs to better use was genius!
I’m surprised the spa doesn’t hold some spots for First Class passengers? Differentiating Business and First Class product can’t hurt!
And soon walking past the huge digital clocks, I’m off to the bus gates of A10.

Next Part
Part 4 – A mediocre “First” try onboard BA First LHR-YYZ
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Nice update from the Concorde Room.

There is an exclusive entrance to the CCR directly on the right after passing through South Security - you don't have to go down a level and through the shops.

http://www.matthandy.co.uk/images/tr/sm/DSC_2101.jpg
(picture by matthandy)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.