FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - More flights, more money than last year... yet, goodbye 1K
Old May 31, 2011, 9:26 am
Akulashark

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by dimramon
I made some calculations, and I may not make it to 1K this year. This is one of those years where I am a segment flyer, and I spend 2 times 2 hrs in a CR2 or CR7, every single week.
My tickets are, overall, more expensive than what I spent on mainline last year, and I often end up with B or M fares.
Based on what I am experiencing right now, there isn't much value to being a 1K. I can't spend more time at the RCC since my pre-boarding is "gone", and a lot of my flights have only regular Y seats on one of the most uncomfortably planes out there.
Most importantly, I will probably end up with about 100-105 flights this year, so I will not make top-tier based on the current requirements.
I have thought about AA, but I would need to connect through either DWF or ORD; and US, well...
Anyways, I hope UA changes some of its policies "created to serve me better" and does something about the boarding process and the elite qualifications.
Being a Hub flyer and a segment flyer really screws you with the 120eqs system. I am a downline originating flyer so I always connect. As a segment flyer this is good as I end up with 4 segments on every RT. That means 120/4 = 30 RTs a year. Or 30/12 ~3 RTs a month. Doable. If you are doing segments without connecting you have to do 5RTs a month, if you fly monday and friday that's pretty hard.

I fly all domestic and might make 1K on miles this year, I need a few more transcons. I agree with the fact that segment domestic flyers tend to put in a good amount of money, United just wants more of it. I hate RJs too so I get the same degraded 1K status as you.

I hear WN is expanding operations in DEN.