Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

More flights, more money than last year... yet, goodbye 1K

Old May 30, 11, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat

I made some calculations, and I may not make it to 1K this year. This is one of those years where I am a segment flyer, and I spend 2 times 2 hrs in a CR2 or CR7, every single week.
My tickets are, overall, more expensive than what I spent on mainline last year, and I often end up with B or M fares.
Based on what I am experiencing right now, there isn't much value to being a 1K. I can't spend more time at the RCC since my pre-boarding is "gone", and a lot of my flights have only regular Y seats on one of the most uncomfortably planes out there.
Most importantly, I will probably end up with about 100-105 flights this year, so I will not make top-tier based on the current requirements.
I have thought about AA, but I would need to connect through either DWF or ORD; and US, well...
Anyways, I hope UA changes some of its policies "created to serve me better" and does something about the boarding process and the elite qualifications.
Old May 30, 11, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
To the extent you're just looking for commiseration, I feel for you. I manage to continue to like flying doing 35-45 segments a year and flying about once a month, but you folks who do a 100-plus segments--and have to put up with wx, mx, missed connections every week or two--are the real road warriors who have always earned 1K the hard way (at 100 segs) in my book. You can't even use the upgrades; all you want is good CS when your UX segment goes bad so you can get home the same day. Though it will never affect me (I hope), and I appreciate the economics behind some of the decision, I wish they'd switch segment qualification rules back to be fairer to you.
Old May 30, 11, 6:30 pm

It's just the start of the summer. You still have chance that there is mx/wx here and there thus you would get extra EQMs/EQSs.
Old May 30, 11, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
If you're able to work a few more B fares into the mix you might be able to make up that 16+/- segment deficit.

The rule changes have been affecting all 1Ks for the worse. The segment warriors were among the first and hardest hit.
Old May 31, 11, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis First
I'm in the same boat and while I at least get E70s most weeks, I completely feel your pain. 120 segments seems like a silly requirement - even if you fly twice a week, every week, you don't make it. Way to reward your short-haul fliers who, as you mention, typically spend more per mile on their tickets.
Old May 31, 11, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
If you want to stick with UA, drive to COS, and fly, connecting through DEN to get the extra segment.

Otherwise, if you can't make 1K, consider flying Frontier more. There are some useful benefits to making the first tier of elite on Frontier.
Old May 31, 11, 9:26 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by dimramon View Post
I made some calculations, and I may not make it to 1K this year. This is one of those years where I am a segment flyer, and I spend 2 times 2 hrs in a CR2 or CR7, every single week.
My tickets are, overall, more expensive than what I spent on mainline last year, and I often end up with B or M fares.
Based on what I am experiencing right now, there isn't much value to being a 1K. I can't spend more time at the RCC since my pre-boarding is "gone", and a lot of my flights have only regular Y seats on one of the most uncomfortably planes out there.
Most importantly, I will probably end up with about 100-105 flights this year, so I will not make top-tier based on the current requirements.
I have thought about AA, but I would need to connect through either DWF or ORD; and US, well...
Anyways, I hope UA changes some of its policies "created to serve me better" and does something about the boarding process and the elite qualifications.
Being a Hub flyer and a segment flyer really screws you with the 120eqs system. I am a downline originating flyer so I always connect. As a segment flyer this is good as I end up with 4 segments on every RT. That means 120/4 = 30 RTs a year. Or 30/12 ~3 RTs a month. Doable. If you are doing segments without connecting you have to do 5RTs a month, if you fly monday and friday that's pretty hard.

I fly all domestic and might make 1K on miles this year, I need a few more transcons. I agree with the fact that segment domestic flyers tend to put in a good amount of money, United just wants more of it. I hate RJs too so I get the same degraded 1K status as you.

I hear WN is expanding operations in DEN.
Old May 31, 11, 9:56 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by SafariMatt View Post
Way to reward your short-haul fliers who, as you mention, typically spend more per mile on their tickets.
Your point is not lost on me, but remember, a short haul flight also costs more per mile to operate than a long haul flight. It's about the only rational thing in airfare priceing, where cost does not relate to price. Labor, fuel, fees, wear and tear...all of them cost more per mile on the short hop than they do on the long jumps, so it SHOULD cost more per mile to the consumer as it costs more per mile to the supplier.
Old May 31, 11, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum
I'm right there with you. Based on last year's flights, and what I've been doing this year I am going to hit about 100-110 segments. I could get creative in routings, but I'm not sure that the A gates in IAD is worth dealing with to hit 1k. Probably will just end up getting a status match to Delta after I hit 1P and hitting Silver with them.
Old May 31, 11, 10:42 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA PremEx-MM
I really empathize with those segment-earned 1Ks. Fly in crummy, small aircraft with no F class week in, week out to get 120 segments, then you're probably too burned out on flying to enjoy the SWUs on a nice long, trip.
Old May 31, 11, 1:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA Platinum; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia
Originally Posted by fastair View Post
Your point is not lost on me, but remember, a short haul flight also costs more per mile to operate than a long haul flight. It's about the only rational thing in airfare priceing, where cost does not relate to price. Labor, fuel, fees, wear and tear...all of them cost more per mile on the short hop than they do on the long jumps, so it SHOULD cost more per mile to the consumer as it costs more per mile to the supplier.
I was spending $1.25/mi+ on CLE-ROC last year flying the COEX Kenjets. I don't think the operational costs are *THAT* much higher.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: