FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Grist for the rumor mill or gristle for the SPAM mill: "big" announcement June 9
Old May 30, 2011, 3:37 pm
dddc

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Herb687
Can confirm that something "big" is in the works, at least as "big" is defined at AMR HDQ. Have heard both from an officer and middle management types at HDQ that something's afoot. Couldn't pry any more details out of any of them; one seemed to hint that he had been NDAed on a specific named project - which would probably indicate M&A/alliance type activity.

First heard inklings of this about a month ago but didn't want to start an FT thread since the info was so incredibly vague.

My top two (wild-ace and uneducated) guesses would be things that have been kicked around AA HDQ for 10+ years:

1) Sale/spinoff of AAdvantage

2) Sale/spinoff of AMR Eagle
I wonder if this is in line with the "something going on at BA/IB FF programmes" that was mentioned in their AGM. Could you imagine if they created a OneWorld FF programme and all legacy miles were transferred into it? That would remove the liability for the miles from the balance sheet, but I don't know enough about the implications otherwise.