Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Grist for the rumor mill or gristle for the SPAM mill: "big" announcement June 9

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grist for the rumor mill or gristle for the SPAM mill: "big" announcement June 9

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2010, 8:14 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)

(Post ending up here due to database error copied to appropriate thread, empty post left to leave thread intact. The thread begins with the following post.)

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 10, 2011 at 5:16 am
Old May 30, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP & million miler

Was sitting (and sitting and sitting) on AA451 ORD-SFO yesterday as part of a "simple" ORD-SFO-ORD MR and during part of the 156 minute delay decided to knock off one of the two remaining birds on my list of cockpits to be photographed in. Beautiful cockpit the new 737-800! Even those weird seat covers the pilots all use weren't so ratty and skanky looking! Anyway, in the course of conversation the pilot said "There's some big announcement to be made June 9th".

There. I said it. Shoot me for passing it along.

His self-admitted rank speculation was either AA is buying a competitor or is buying a bunch of new birds. Talk amongst yourselves. I'm going back under my rock.
Old May 30, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLAT
Who will they buy ?

Alaska Airlines ? or US Air ?
Old May 30, 2011, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Confirming that I have heard the same information from two other individuals who are trustworthy. Although I was given a date of June 1st.
Old May 30, 2011, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by dfwflyguy
Who will they buy ?

Alaska Airlines ? or US Air ?
The question I first asked was "Who will buy them?"
Old May 30, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: Diamond medallion, HHonors Diamond,
Hopefully not something lame like gate swaps.
Old May 30, 2011, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Can confirm that something "big" is in the works, at least as "big" is defined at AMR HDQ. Have heard both from an officer and middle management types at HDQ that something's afoot. Couldn't pry any more details out of any of them; one seemed to hint that he had been NDAed on a specific named project - which would probably indicate M&A/alliance type activity.

First heard inklings of this about a month ago but didn't want to start an FT thread since the info was so incredibly vague.

My top two (wild-ace and uneducated) guesses would be things that have been kicked around AA HDQ for 10+ years:

1) Sale/spinoff of AAdvantage
2) Sale/spinoff of AMR Eagle
Old May 30, 2011, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687

My top two (wild-ace and uneducated) guesses would be things that have been kicked around AA HDQ for 10+ years:

What would a sale of AAdvantage be like? I would say that the Eagle spinoff has been floated for awhile now, but just a few days ago the folks at AMR were saying that the Eagle decision is becoming complicated etc. It seems like we heard the same stuff, whatever's been going on has been "planned" (definitively planned) for at minimum one month ago when I first heard the rumblings in Dallas.
Old May 30, 2011, 3:37 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Herb687
Can confirm that something "big" is in the works, at least as "big" is defined at AMR HDQ. Have heard both from an officer and middle management types at HDQ that something's afoot. Couldn't pry any more details out of any of them; one seemed to hint that he had been NDAed on a specific named project - which would probably indicate M&A/alliance type activity.

First heard inklings of this about a month ago but didn't want to start an FT thread since the info was so incredibly vague.

I wonder if this is in line with the "something going on at BA/IB FF programmes" that was mentioned in their AGM. Could you imagine if they created a OneWorld FF programme and all legacy miles were transferred into it? That would remove the liability for the miles from the balance sheet, but I don't know enough about the implications otherwise.
Old May 30, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 2 MM
More baseless speculation:
1. Boeing announcement of new generation 737 with AA as launch customer.
2. Announcement of final certification of 787 with delivery dates finalized for AA.
3. Expanded flying to Mexico to take place of Mexicana (and/or purchase of remaining assets of Mexicana including routes and gates), now that it appears as though MX may never come back.
4. Prepackaged Chapter 11 for AA.
5. Expanded partnership with Jet Blue.
6. The return of weight limits for AA flight attendants.
Old May 30, 2011, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, WOH
Originally Posted by netbucks
6. The return of weight limits for AA flight attendants.
That's just mean.
Old May 30, 2011, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by netbucks
4. Prepackaged Chapter 11 for AA.
5. Expanded partnership with Jet Blue.
My personal favs!^ I'll go for both!
Old May 30, 2011, 4:10 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
It would be great if we earned miles on all Jet Blue flights, and that any miles/segments counted towards EXP..
Old May 30, 2011, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
When I saw the title of this thread I immediately thought that there would be a announcement about changes to the million miler program. Not concerned now that I realize that the announcement involves something relevant to or at least known by pilots, so I'm sure it doesn't involve the million miler program. But if it is a spinoff of the AAdvantage program, I am concerned. VERY concerned. Gosh, I'm now HOPING it is an announcement of changes to the million miler program.
Old May 30, 2011, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
It would be great if we earned miles on all Jet Blue flights, and that any miles/segments counted towards EXP..
That would be a winner for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.