FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What's your "loyalty" price max?
View Single Post
Old May 24, 2011, 8:45 am
StayingHomeIsBetter
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by mapsgl
I am a DTW hub captive GM that needs to do a same day turn around for an 11:00 -12:00 business meeting in Midtown June 15.

I like Delta, hope to maximize my MQM's, but loyalty has a breaking point.

non stop Tickets on my dates on DL are 1,159.40 (B) fare. I ended up buy tickets on NK for 220. This price included their Big Front Seat, to LGA and exit row back to DTW.

I have factored in all of the problemsI expect on a NK flight, but I can't pull the trigger on an $900 difference.

I am willing to pay more in DL. Probably double ln this case, but four times!!!

I am curious where people draw the line.

Maps
First... never, never trust DL to get you to your destination on time, on the day of an important meeting.

Second... DL management are doing their best to pillage folks on non-stops into and out of DTW.

I agree that airfares have been too low for too long, but trying to make up the difference on a single ticket is a bit extreme.

My last experience on a PHL-DTW-PHL itinerary started out with an offered fare of over $800 (US and DL being the only airlines offering nonstops in that market, and matching each other, of course).

I waited a week or so, and someone blinked... price dropped to about $250 RT, and I grabbed it.

Curious now, I checked the week before the flight. Price was back up to about $1400.

IIRC, the price dropped again just a few days before departure.