What's your "loyalty" price max?

Old May 23, 2011, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
What's your "loyalty" price max?

I am a DTW hub captive GM that needs to do a same day turn around for an 11:00 -12:00 business meeting in Midtown June 15.

I like Delta, hope to maximize my MQM's, but loyalty has a breaking point.

non stop Tickets on my dates on DL are 1,159.40 (B) fare. I ended up buy tickets on NK for 220. This price included their Big Front Seat, to LGA and exit row back to DTW.

I have factored in all of the problemsI expect on a NK flight, but I can't pull the trigger on an $900 difference.

I am willing to pay more in DL. Probably double ln this case, but four times!!!

I am curious where people draw the line.

Maps
Old May 23, 2011, 7:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat Prem, Hilton Diamond, Delta Diamond
Domestic for me it's usually $150.
International up to $300.
Old May 23, 2011, 7:08 pm

Programs: 2 many 4 2 long.
I mean this literally, and so do my 3 clients at DTW:

$0

None of us, all former DM's, fly DL anymore.

Delta is worth nothing more, even if hub captive and falling for the imagined benefit of non-stop flights.
Old May 23, 2011, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
Originally Posted by Buccaneeratheart

$0

Delta is worth nothing more, even if hub captive and falling for the imagined benefit of non-stop flights.
Wow. That's a pretty strong opinion.

The ability to SDC and the relative reliability vs NK are worth something to me. On this itinerary my worst case scenario I could purchase the full trip or a one way for about the same total damage if necessary.
Old May 23, 2011, 7:57 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Obviously $900 is a non starter. I would rather walk.

After thinking a bit, I would set my bar at $100 + 2cpm for domestic. International would be case by case.

That said, I rarely see a domestic ticket out of ATL that runs even close to this much more than the cheapest (I am certain many can flood us with with counter-examples, but not on my flights).
Old May 23, 2011, 8:25 pm

Programs: TK CP, Lapsed DL FO, Mr. <3Vacations Free Rider, Numerous programs
Well, normally DL offers the lest expensive flights to where I am going (usually DCA & MLB) . Just happens to work out that way. Since I fly out of Huntsville, even if I fly international it makes it VERY hard to choose some one else. However, I have been waiting 3 months for the price to go down on a trip to Denver in July. The price was hovering around $360 went up to 450, and came back down to $380, I happened to have a Cert so I ended up going with the $380 but I REALLY did not want to pay over about $250 RT. If someone else had a lower fare... (cheapest I saw was $360) prob at least $100 lower, I would have just booked with them.
Old May 23, 2011, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Great question, and one I keep asking myself often

Prior to wide-spread FCM, I would have no problem paying $100-$150 extra for a personal domestic round trip. I figured I am paying extra for the nearly-guaranteed upgrade and status miles.

After a few Q fares gone bad, this is under review...and knowing that coach is a likely outcome of the upgrade game, the last instance of a $100 difference brought me to AS instead of DL

When traveling for work, i apply a reasonableness test - if the fare is up to 30-40% more than the lowest fare of the day and within the parameters of the trip (Arrival and departure times, connections, etc), I go for DL. If another airline has compatible flights and is more than like $50 cheaper, I go that route.

For international, I compare the cost of J, when allowed by policy, to DL's M cost + Z availability. Win-win, unless IROPS occur
Old May 23, 2011, 9:09 pm

First thing is to figure out actual difference; for example luggage, if any, miles etc.
Second is the alternative-if its WN or NK, I barely look at the other option, but if its UA or AA, I strongly consider.
Old May 23, 2011, 9:35 pm

Programs: Motel 6
Originally Posted by Yosef
First thing is to figure out actual difference; for example luggage, if any, miles etc.
Second is the alternative-if its WN or NK, I barely look at the other option, but if its UA or AA, I strongly consider.
Exactly this, most of the time. I also consider direct flight or not, along with departure\arrival times. Well-timed flights have higher preference than airline loyalty, even if DL is cheaper.

WN flights are automatically ignored and FL only if there are no other options.
Old May 23, 2011, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL DM
Good discussion.

I think the first $100 is a no-brainer because of luggage, shorter lines, better irops handling, etc.

After that it depends on the length of the route, etc, but probably stops around $300 for me.

Just a suggestion to the OP - Is it pricing into B because that's all that's available, or because you're doing a same day turn?

Can you do at least OW on DL and the other on NK? At least that way you get half the benefit/credit instead of none.
Old May 23, 2011, 10:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold, UA G
25-30% price difference over Southwest and I'll got DL. Basically with other airlines I hate them so much I'll fly DL no matter the price unless all/in for F/C on another carrier (UA/CO/US/AA) is still less than DL coach.
Old May 23, 2011, 10:41 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
Originally Posted by Ximian
WN flights are automatically ignored and FL only if there are no other options.
on a recent DFW-BOS one way i was looking at $1100 for DL Y or $530 for FL J. that was an easy choice, and i was pleased that my prepaid gogo passes worked on airtran, too.....

on a short trip (up to about 600 miles), i won't pay much in premium, and in fact, i might pay a premium to a nonstop carrier where i have less status. for longer trips, if DL is vaguely reasonable, i don't even shop around.
Old May 23, 2011, 11:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
I will only spend more in those instances where I can receive something of measurable value to me. For example, if I have to check a bag, and the option is paying $xx on one carrier, and $0 on DL, then DL can charge me $xx more than the other carrier. I will also pay for an exit row and will soon be willing to pay for an economy comfort seat, depending upon the distance. I will pay some premium if I can be relatively assured of an upgrade, but will not pay any premium if I assess the likelihood to be low.

I value the bonus miles from airlines with which I have elite status and will pay up to my assessed value for those miles - this primarily comes into play when the choice is between an airline where I will earn usable miles and when the alternative is somewhere that doesn't earn miles or where the miles will be orphaned.

I will pay for lounge access for international flights, but not very much, maybe $10 or so per visit. Most other at-airport amenities don't mean terribly much to me, so I will not pay much for things like priority check-in or boarding, but it would be enough to make up a couple of stray dollars.

All of those items are weighed against the convenience factor, and I am not predisposed to pay more AND to fly out of my way to do it.
Old May 24, 2011, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remyontheroad
Good discussion.

Just a suggestion to the OP - Is it pricing into B because that's all that's available, or because you're doing a same day turn?

Can you do at least OW on DL and the other on NK? At least that way you get half the benefit/credit instead of none.
EF shows 9 in all fare classes. my guess is that it's a combination of hub captive and same day turn. One way fares are 593, just about half. Still too much if I blended....

My general priorities are flight times, cost, flexibility, upgrade chances, and duration

I make a DTW - NYC trip seven to ten times a year, This route often has non-competitive pricing from DL. I have frequently paid the premium. The spread is getting too great.

I should be more diligent about the total cost
Old May 24, 2011, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by Buccaneeratheart

$0

Hmmm...interesting that you waste your time commenting on an airline you, and your clients don't even fly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.