FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IAD-SFO-IAD Crowne Plaza Cabana
View Single Post
Old Apr 14, 2000, 3:09 am
West Coast Flyer

Thanks for the report on the Cabana. I'm glad its back open, as the Palo Alto/Stanford area is still in dire need of more hotel beds. The property was bought by a man named Patel, who's first "hotel" was/is a small Travelodge roughly across the street from Fish Market. I was impressed by the renovation he did on the Cabana. The tennis courts, wading pool and putting green were demolished, but gained meeting space and a business center, and retained the largest ballroom on the Peninsula. The exterior and interior received mainly cosmetic alterations. The decor seems to be very 90s and stylish, but the furnishings appear rather cheap and generic. I guess its now basically a business hotel, without much of the resort feel that it had when it was built in the 60s (partially funded by Doris Day).
The original architect (the name escapes me for the moment) who designed the Cabana went on to design Caeser's Palace in 1966.

I'm glad you enjoyed Fish Market! Its a mere five minutes away for me, and I'm very grateful for a down-to-earth place, with friendly service, and exquisitely fresh fish.