Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

IAD-SFO-IAD Crowne Plaza Cabana

Old Apr 13, 2000, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I left the office at 4:15 for the 5:20 in Dulles. The folks in the RCC in the C concourse efficiently issued BPs. No line to board because we were so late, so we just got onto the 777.

A nice 777 with the new seats, bulkhead in business class. The 777 is a lovely plane, so roomy and airy that I can see why it's so many people's favorite. Plenty of bin space.

The captain had channel 9 on and that is what I listened to a lot, all the way across the US, with the map on the video monitor. I read a Peter Hautman book, very entertaining (if you like Elmore Leonard you'll love Hautman.)

The service was superb the whole way. I hadn't eaten much all day and the choice was shortribs with "vegetables" (meaning mostly potatoes), a chicken thing, and tuna (but they were out of tuna by the time they came around to me.)

They refilled glasses numerous times, were solicitous, just great.

We arrived at 8:00 or so and went on the generic shuttle to Avis. Avis's preferred office is out in the parking lot. It's funny to see the couches and desks like a real office, but in the middle of the parking structure!

They gave me a virgin Mitsubishi Montego, with 14 miles on it, absolutely the first ever to rent this baby.

I would rate the seats as uncomfortable, the ride typical stiff Sport Ute, but the steering and performance above average for this type of vehicle. I enjoyed it actually.

We drove down the 101 to the Crowne Plaza Cabana. This hotel is a good quality CP with pleasant staff.

This is one of the few times I've stayed in Palo Alto. Most of the time all Silicon Valley hotels are booked. I found a Crowne Plaza reservation at 1800hotels on the web and booked it. Only $300 per night

Dinner was at the Fish Market on El Camino, which is a small place with a huge menu of impeccably fresh fish. I ordered a dungeoness crab cocktail and monkfish. The monkfish was fantastic.

Next day breakfast was at Crowne Plaza. Wonderful fruit bowl, eggs on avocado and ham with hollandaise and excellent sausages.

Dinner was Scot's Seafood Grill which is excellent. I ordered the seafood saute, their most popular dish, and had a keylime pie. The keylime pie was really plain lime pie, but was very good and homemade.

After concluding our business in Silicon Valley, and the dinner, we started back to SFO. It began to poor. We good completely drneched on the way from the bus to the terminal, about 50 feet. I was convinced they'd delay the flights but they didn't.

We boarded the 757 with the ugly, hard uncomfortable grey seats in F. I hate this plane

Service was very good, except
1. the captain refused to turn on channel 9.
2. the seats were extremely uncomfortable as you all know
3. what gives serving the Mrs. Field cookie early in the flight? They do this a lot on the redeyes, I've noticed. It seems to me they used to serve it before landing. That is the way they do it on AA. I'm not supposed to eat cookies anyway, but they're great!

The FA was very friendly and I have no complaints about the service, really it was very good for a redeye flight.
Old Apr 14, 2000, 3:09 am

Thanks for the report on the Cabana. I'm glad its back open, as the Palo Alto/Stanford area is still in dire need of more hotel beds. The property was bought by a man named Patel, who's first "hotel" was/is a small Travelodge roughly across the street from Fish Market. I was impressed by the renovation he did on the Cabana. The tennis courts, wading pool and putting green were demolished, but gained meeting space and a business center, and retained the largest ballroom on the Peninsula. The exterior and interior received mainly cosmetic alterations. The decor seems to be very 90s and stylish, but the furnishings appear rather cheap and generic. I guess its now basically a business hotel, without much of the resort feel that it had when it was built in the 60s (partially funded by Doris Day).
The original architect (the name escapes me for the moment) who designed the Cabana went on to design Caeser's Palace in 1966.

I'm glad you enjoyed Fish Market! Its a mere five minutes away for me, and I'm very grateful for a down-to-earth place, with friendly service, and exquisitely fresh fish.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.