FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Senior GATO Visita Mexico
View Single Post
Old Dec 31, 1999, 3:11 pm
Catman
Commander Catcop

Senior GATO Visita Mexico

THis was a one day trip and a surprise trip by my friends Steve and Joyce (I figured it was to Mexico when they asked me to bring my Passport!)

We take a bus that looks older than me from a stop near the border crossing. We were heading to CIUDAD ACUCA (SP? Help me Steve or JAWS!!!) Noticed that many of the people boarding had bags from H.E.B. (A grocery chain in Texas) or Wal Mart bags filled with bread, canned goods, rice and flour.

Have to admit I was a bit scared about goign to Mexico concerning the stories you hear on the news.

I would be pleasantly surprised.

We get off the bus and start walking down the main street.

Some observations:

*The Merchants are friendly, helpful and NOT PUSHY!!! They always "We'll offer a fair price."

*Merchants speak English and accept American cash.
*Prices of items in many cases better than the states (Like the Jose Cuevro which Steve got.)

*They had Cuban Cigars at I think 15 dollars U.S. a pop. I was so disappointed I could not bring one or a few back to the states (I don't want to end up a newsstory.) So I got a Mexican cigar (now I need to find it!)

*Streets relatively clean and patrolled. There was one little girl begging for coins with Chiclets.

*Lots of tourists, especially Texans.

*Found a great Mexican Restaurant on the strip: Crosby's (which was there since I think the 1940's.) Good food, great prices, friendly service, nice roving bands playing Mexican music. If you go: BRING YOUR VISA OR MASTERCARD!!! That's all they take.

And a funny observation: the pharmacies sell everything made in the U.S. at good prices... Biggest ads are for a little blue "happy" pill made by Pfizer at $9.38 a pop. I don't know if this is a good price since I have NEVER USE THE STUFF!

All I bought besides the cigar was a goofy looking straw hat. Steve and Joyce got a lot of items like blankets (big ones at 5 dollars U.S.) and other tokens.

It was a nice day trip... and I'm looking forward to going back to Mexico in the near future.