FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}
Old May 7, 2011, 9:17 pm
iahphx
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rdculp
My wife and I spent a week at the HWV in the Lagoon tower in 2007 and loved it. Now we are wanting to return with the whole family, which includes 3 daughters age 9, 11, 13. Any recommendations on how best to accomodate. Of course, the computer states a max occupancy of 4 per room. Any acceptable workarounds to this? Does diamond level help?

Thanks
Originally Posted by alfredtraveler
We were there just a few months ago for 10 days. I paid for the lagoon tower room using their hawaii 50th celebration 5th nite for 50 dollars plus get $50 resort credit (so it's really like 5th nite free). (Since it was 10 days the wanted to only give me the resort credit once, so I made them split it into two reservations and the front desk person had to do that to give it to me twice).

Anyway, I am a single parent with 4 kids and the reservation desk gave the runaround at first then said ok per a supervisor. With two adults they might have had more issue. I think I'd just fly under the radar screen and not mention reserving for the 4th kid. The catch is that the rooms are not queen but full size beds so 3 to a bed is very tight. They make sure the couch is too small to sleep on.....
With a family of 5, I share your pain.

There isn't really a good solution -- other than renting a condo or villa instead of a hotel room. It rarely makes economic sense to buy 2 hotel rooms in a Hawaiian resort -- the price is just too high.

Since your kids are relatively young, and since you want to stay the Waikoloa (the hotel IS good for kids), just bring an inexpensive blow-up mattress and put one kid on the floor (you'll be able to round up the necessary pillow and blanket at the hotel). It won't be super comfortable, but it works. I'd adopt a "don't ask, don't tell" policy with the hotel (don't bring all 5 to the front desk to check-in).

What I've typically done in Hawaii is stayed a couple nights at a kid-friendly resort and then rented a house elsewhere for the rest of my stay. A good combo of "tourist Hawaii" and "less touristy Hawaii." And you really don't want to live with 5 people in a hotel room for very long.