FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Unlocked MIFI Solution
View Single Post
Old Apr 16, 2011, 9:03 am
jsnydcsa

Problem: I use a T-Mobile modem here in the US. Unfortunately, I sit in an office that doesn't get the best signal from T-Mo using the modem.

What I'd like to do is switch out my TMobile SIM into one of these devices, place the device where there's better 'reception' and then connect to the device via Wi-Fi.

However, from what I'm reading, none of these devices support TMo's 1700 mhz (?) signal. So, at best, you get a lower (2G) speed from T-Mo. Not that I'm streaming online video or anything but to me that's useless.

Or, have I missed out on a device out there that would cover T-Mo's "faster" radio band. I'd love to here from someone if they've found one (2+ hours bouncing around Google only schooled me on my observations above).

I'd love to hear if someone has a device in mind....

-----
A Sub-Optimal Solution
-----
Buy one of the devices that allows me to plug my T-Mo USB modem into the back of the device and then hook into the device using Wi-Fi. I'm saying this is sub-optimal b/c I travel internationally and would like to use the same device abroad not with the T-Mo modem and SIM but rather with a local carrier. That'd require me to buy and carry an "unlocked" USB modem for use with local carrier's SIMs. I'd rather just have the Mi-Fi device which acts as the modem itself, plug in a local SIM and be sharing via Wi-Fi.

If everyone thinks the sub-optimal choice is the way, the truth, ... I await your humble word on a recommendation.

Champion!