FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - QF Domestic
Thread: QF Domestic
View Single Post
Old Feb 25, 2011, 4:25 am
QF Lad

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mario33
Is it worth paying a 30-40% premium over Jetstar or Virgin Blue for a 2 hr domestic flight ?

Havent flown domestic in Australia for quite some time, but my memory of Jetstar is not all that bad & QF is not that great either. I cant recall if I have flown DJ (probably not, it could have been Impulse which was ok)

No, not really. If you have Qantas club access you will be able to access the Qantas club prior to the jetstar flight.

I find Jetstar can be quite comfortable domestically because:

(1) there are a number of direct flights, eg. ADL-CNS, MEL-TSV which are direct on Jetstar, but would require changes and take much longer on Qantas;

(2) you are able to prebook "preferred" seating in row 1 or exit row seating for a small extra charge;

(3) there is often more choice of menu items than on regular QF domestic services. Unless you are travelling right on a mealtime you are often only presented with an apple and a cookie on regular QF services. It is often difficult to work out when you will get a hot meal on regular QF services in economy; and

(4) the domestic IFE on QF has not been too good recently...you are probably better going with the paid Jetstar options.

So Jetstar actually has some advantages over economy QF travel, so in most cases it is not worth the premium, except on longer MEL/SYD-PER or MEL/SYD-CNS servcies where QF will be better.