QF Domestic

Old Feb 23, 2011, 6:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

QF Domestic

Is it worth paying a 30-40% premium over Jetstar or Virgin Blue for a 2 hr domestic flight ?

Havent flown domestic in Australia for quite some time, but my memory of Jetstar is not all that bad & QF is not that great either. I cant recall if I have flown DJ (probably not, it could have been Impulse which was ok)
Old Feb 23, 2011, 7:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
In economy?
Which route?
Lounge access/status?

Without knowing any of that, I would generally say no, it isn't worth it.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 6:45 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
and what day of the week and time of day?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 4:25 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mario33
Is it worth paying a 30-40% premium over Jetstar or Virgin Blue for a 2 hr domestic flight ?

Havent flown domestic in Australia for quite some time, but my memory of Jetstar is not all that bad & QF is not that great either. I cant recall if I have flown DJ (probably not, it could have been Impulse which was ok)

No, not really. If you have Qantas club access you will be able to access the Qantas club prior to the jetstar flight.

I find Jetstar can be quite comfortable domestically because:

(1) there are a number of direct flights, eg. ADL-CNS, MEL-TSV which are direct on Jetstar, but would require changes and take much longer on Qantas;

(2) you are able to prebook "preferred" seating in row 1 or exit row seating for a small extra charge;

(3) there is often more choice of menu items than on regular QF domestic services. Unless you are travelling right on a mealtime you are often only presented with an apple and a cookie on regular QF services. It is often difficult to work out when you will get a hot meal on regular QF services in economy; and

(4) the domestic IFE on QF has not been too good recently...you are probably better going with the paid Jetstar options.

So Jetstar actually has some advantages over economy QF travel, so in most cases it is not worth the premium, except on longer MEL/SYD-PER or MEL/SYD-CNS servcies where QF will be better.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 6:06 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by QF Lad
So Jetstar actually has some advantages over economy QF travel
+1 for Jetstar, the only Aus domestic airline where you can pick a seat at reservation time.

Even SYD-PER is more comfortable than Qantas if you pick the exit row - at a fee but still less than the Qantas fare. BYO food though.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 6:31 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by QF Lad
No, not really. If you have Qantas club access you will be able to access the Qantas club prior to the jetstar flight.

I find Jetstar can be quite comfortable domestically because:

(1) there are a number of direct flights, eg. ADL-CNS, MEL-TSV which are direct on Jetstar, but would require changes and take much longer on Qantas;

(2) you are able to prebook "preferred" seating in row 1 or exit row seating for a small extra charge;

(3) there is often more choice of menu items than on regular QF domestic services. Unless you are travelling right on a mealtime you are often only presented with an apple and a cookie on regular QF services. It is often difficult to work out when you will get a hot meal on regular QF services in economy; and

(4) the domestic IFE on QF has not been too good recently...you are probably better going with the paid Jetstar options.

So Jetstar actually has some advantages over economy QF travel, so in most cases it is not worth the premium, except on longer MEL/SYD-PER or MEL/SYD-CNS servcies where QF will be better.

Once upon a time, MEL-TSV was available on QF - not sure if these were actually replaced by JQ or whether there was a break.

After numerous times when flying back from NTL to MEL on JQ on a Friday night, when there was NO catering availablle (because all the food had been sold on the MEL-NTL outbound and JQ did not cater ex NTL), I simply gave up ... not that the plain white bread sandwich appealed too greatly in the first place. At least with QF you know what will be offered (because you've already paid for it in the ticket price). In the end, JQ's unreliability meant that I would always BYO.

Where QF (and DJ to a certain extent) score over JQ is with irregular ops and flexibility. I lost track of the times that I knew that a JQ flight would be delayed (sometimes very significantly) because the inbound was delayed. Still had to check-in 30mins prior to scheduled departure otherwise lose the ticket. That meant lost work time.

Cancelled flights - tough. This may have changed - this was back in the days when online check-in did not have bag-drop capabilities ... if you were checking luggage you had no choice you had to be at the airport. At least on cancelled flights with DJ, they always strove to get you there somehow. JQ lost me, early days, and won't be getting me back unless there is NO alternative. The last time I flew JQ - last Nov - they were obviously lying as to the issue ... rolling delays because a plane was u/s at the departing airport and they were shifting flights onto the next arriving aircraft. They were blaming the "late arriving inbound flights". In the end they ran out of aircraft because of the one sitting on the tarmac surrounded by engineers and just cancelled the last flight of the day to SYD. Tough!!

Now, I'll even drive an extra 45mins (eg BNE vs OOL) than fly JQ!

BD
Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:16 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by BD1959
Once upon a time, MEL-TSV was available on QF - not sure if these were actually replaced by JQ or whether there was a break.

After numerous times when flying back from NTL to MEL on JQ on a Friday night, when there was NO catering availablle (because all the food had been sold on the MEL-NTL outbound and JQ did not cater ex NTL), I simply gave up ... not that the plain white bread sandwich appealed too greatly in the first place. At least with QF you know what will be offered (because you've already paid for it in the ticket price). In the end, JQ's unreliability meant that I would always BYO.

Where QF (and DJ to a certain extent) score over JQ is with irregular ops and flexibility. I lost track of the times that I knew that a JQ flight would be delayed (sometimes very significantly) because the inbound was delayed. Still had to check-in 30mins prior to scheduled departure otherwise lose the ticket. That meant lost work time.

I hear you - things were sooooo much better when the Crash-8 service linked NTL and MEL (and even better when they were driving Impulse out of business with BringAnotherEngine146 planes and business class on the route).

JQ reliability NTL-MEL sucks arse.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:03 pm

Now, I'll even drive an extra 45mins (eg BNE vs OOL) than fly JQ!

BD

True, although BNE-MEL flights always seem absolutely packed especially on weekday evenings. I've been on many hot, cramped BNE-MEL flights on economy on QF, where there was no more overhead space and you have had to put your laptop and your suit jacket under your seat.

Nice!
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:06 pm

In the end, JQ's unreliability meant that I would always BYO. BD

And I think you really do need to BYO on JQ. Recently on a MEL-HBA flight the flight attendants got half way through the plane with the catering service - literally to the exit row. You then felt the plane start to descend (so about 30 minutes out from HBA) and it was announced the catering service was terminated.

So if you were in the first half of the plane you were served. If you were in the second half of the plane, tough cookies.

So with this "service policy" you are definitely best to BYO on JQ.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.