FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA debuts new full-body scanner software
Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:02 am
barbell

Additional Info

There's a new article on msnbc here.

Interesting tidbits:

Now, there is just a generic image — like the chalk outline of a body at a crime scene.
Wait a minute. Didn't they already say that the images were only a "chalk outline of a body"? Then why are they putting in software that purportedly does that now? Unless of course that's not what the image was before.

I believe LAS uses the L3 MMW, as that's exactly what is used at the second test site - ATL. If that's the case, the images presented by the TSA as what the screener sees is the least obnoxious of any I've seen.

That leads me to believe that they have not been entirely upfront and honest about this whole thing. Color me surprised.

"And hopefully it provides a greater deterrent to possible terrorists, who may realize 'OK, they're going to see it right there. If that shows up, and I'm here, then I'm going to be caught,'" [Pistole] added.
Wait. What? I thought if we put it out in the open the terrorists would know how to exploit the system.

If all goes well for two months, TSA can install the software to 250 of the scanners nationwide at a cost of $2.7 million. The expansion will be limited to that because the software only works on machines produced by one of the two companies that make them.
Oh, so this software actually is only available to 25% of the total projected electronic strip search machine hardware. Well, that doesn't really do anything.

The U.S. Travel Association estimates more than 70 percent of all passengers consider the TSA's searches inefficient and frustrating, said senior vice president Geoff Freeman. Incremental changes, he said, won't address those concerns.
Uh, doesn't TSA claim everyone's OK with these procedures?