FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA debuts new full-body scanner software
Old Feb 2, 2011, 6:34 am
InkUnderNails

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Let's review.

There are four basic objections to the new procedures:
  1. Some people have legitimate modesty and privacy concerns about the new scanners.
  2. The new devices are expensive and are slower than the old technology.
  3. There are unknown and unprovable safety issues with the new technology.
  4. The procedures severely stress the current implementation of what is reasonable for an administrative search under the 4th amendment.

Only #1 is affected by the change, and then only partially. Even then, the process still does a virtual strip search, even though the image presentation may be different. The resolution of anomalies still requires a body frisk that possibly exceeds the legal limits of #4, and may make #1 more invasive and immodest.

The biggest change is that it continues the process of breaking down our natural original alliances of diverse objectors by splitting off those that the system can convert, one by one, into being agreeable with the system. They are dividing us to weaken us, and they will likely succeed with other objections as well. Look for a report that they are faster and cheaper, for example.

For me, even if my personal concerns and objections are fully met and alleviated, I will continue to stand with those remaining with objections as the issues that would remain would still be serious and worthy of my attention, even if they were not my personal reasons for objecting.