FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it my PC set-up?
View Single Post
Old Jan 24, 2011, 5:11 pm
world888traveler

Programs: AC*E50, DL*SM, JMB
Originally Posted by tomh009
I've worked in software development for ages, and have used Windows since the 2.x days (ugh), so I have some experience, too. As long as you are not constantly adding and removing software (which can leave crud behind), it's really not necessary (and apps can leave crud on OS X, too).

I haven't done an OS reload in ages. And Mrs tomh009 ran the same Windows XP install on her trusty ThinkPad X31 from 2004 to 2010, when I managed to convince her to upgrade. Yes, I added memory and switched to a bigger, faster disk, but even there the disk was cloned, not rebuilt.

Sure, rebuilds can be done but you'll spend a lot of time rebuilding, reinstalling and reactivating applications.
I agree with you. One thing though, there is no need to rebuild and reactivating apps. Just do an image copy of your HDD with Norton Ghost or any other application and you are set. If something crashes or is not working, all you have is to re-load the image and you can use everything. Other ppl do prefer to re-install app 1 to 100 and so on including Win..but an image copy is mych better. Anyway, we both know what is better from what is not