FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help: Missing Middle Name on Ticket
View Single Post
Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:35 pm
NotaCriminal

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, United
I had similar concerns for my flight last week, so I went to the TSA site and printed off the relevant portion of the FAQ for Secure Flight:

If the name printed on my boarding pass is different than what appears on my government ID, will I still be able to fly?

Secure Flight is a behind-the-scenes process that TSA and airlines collaborate on to compare the information you provide against government watch lists. The additional data elements that you may be asked to provide, such as date of birth and gender, serve to better differentiate you from individuals on the government watch lists.

Due to differences in boarding pass systems, boarding passes may not always display the exact name you provided when booking your travel. The name you provide when booking your travel is used to perform the watch list matching before a boarding pass is ever issued, so small differences between the passenger's ID and the passenger name printed on the boarding pass, such as the use of a middle initial instead of a full middle name or no middle name/initial at all, or hyphens and apostrophes should not cause a problem for the passenger.
I had no issues with the TSA TDCs as to the name on my ticket not precisely matching my ID, FWIW.