FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CA: KHN-PEK-YVR: Through Baggage on Air China?
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:15 pm
moondog
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jiejie
I'm skeptical this is going to work out like you wish, but I'll keep fingers crossed for you.

In KHN, they technically should be able to interline and tag through if they know what they are doing and you can communicate intent. However, if the check-in agent believes that it is "not allowed" or if they don't know how to push the right buttons to get the AC BP and connecting bag tag to output, then resign yourself to just getting a boarding pass for the domestic flight, picking the luggage up in PEK, schlepping it upstairs to departure level, and rechecking it. Usually PEK baggage handling is efficient and the entire process of picking up at baggage claim and then disposing of it to others' custody will not take up too much of your time. Should you be heavily laden, carts are free and they'll be plenty of them around to grab.
I've never had much of a problem with bags when arriving at T2, but have endured a handful of 40+ minutes waits at T3, and would say the average is close to 20 minutes (before the belt even starts). Sometimes it doesn't seem like this long because of the vast distances between some of the gates (even the bus gate depot!) and baggage claim.