CA: KHN-PEK-YVR: Through Baggage on Air China?

Old Jan 15, 11, 6:28 pm
Original Poster
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Gold, Fairmont Platinum (No Airline Status, a first in 7 years)
CA: KHN-PEK-YVR: Through Baggage on Air China?

Flight 1: CA KHN-PEK
Flight 2: AC PEK-YVR

Will Air China check my bags to YVR? I have 12 hrs in PEK and dont want to carry my bags through PEK.

Is their a *A lounge in KHN?
Old Jan 15, 11, 8:50 pm

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Yes, Air China is able to tag your bags up to YVR since both are *A and will also issue onward boarding passes. However, this may be difficult if you encounter a non-English speaking agent at KHN (supposing you have have two separate tickets). You will also have to show your onward eTicket itinerary with Air Canada.

If it's one single ticket, it would be easier to explain to the agent what you're trying to do.
Old Jan 15, 11, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

They are different tickets.

Maybe I can have a Chinese Translator write my intentions down with both PNR, so I can get the bags checked all the way.

Thanks! Hope it can work. KHN (Nanchang is such a tiny airport, maybe they don't even have *Gold checkin.)
Old Jan 16, 11, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by toyotaboy95 View Post
Yes, Air China is able to tag your bags up to YVR since both are *A and will also issue onward boarding passes.
I wouldn't be so sure about that; regardless of any language issues, that sort of thing, especially the boarding passes, only works about half the time IME.
Old Jan 16, 11, 11:29 pm
Ambassador, China

Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
I'm skeptical this is going to work out like you wish, but I'll keep fingers crossed for you.

In KHN, they technically should be able to interline and tag through if they know what they are doing and you can communicate intent. However, if the check-in agent believes that it is "not allowed" or if they don't know how to push the right buttons to get the AC BP and connecting bag tag to output, then resign yourself to just getting a boarding pass for the domestic flight, picking the luggage up in PEK, schlepping it upstairs to departure level, and rechecking it. Usually PEK baggage handling is efficient and the entire process of picking up at baggage claim and then disposing of it to others' custody will not take up too much of your time. Should you be heavily laden, carts are free and they'll be plenty of them around to grab.

Note that with 12 hours until departure to YVR, you may not be able to go to the AC desk and check the stuff in that early. In which case, the solution would be to put the stuff in Left Luggage (for a fee, of course), then fish it out a couple of hours before departure and check in. I have heard that the Left Luggage counter on the Arrivals level outside Baggage Claim is a little cheaper than the one on the Departures Level before check-in (go figure). Once you have temporarily parked your bags, you can then enjoy the rest of your time on the non-secure side. Maybe leave the airport and go roam in town for a bit, or head for a spa. If you are able to check-through in KHN, or if you pick up in PEK and can immediately check-in with AC, then you of course are free to go airside to wait out your time, but even the *A lounge there gets a bit old after a couple of hours.

Last edited by jiejie; Jan 16, 11 at 11:36 pm
Old Jan 17, 11, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
I'm skeptical this is going to work out like you wish, but I'll keep fingers crossed for you.

In KHN, they technically should be able to interline and tag through if they know what they are doing and you can communicate intent. However, if the check-in agent believes that it is "not allowed" or if they don't know how to push the right buttons to get the AC BP and connecting bag tag to output, then resign yourself to just getting a boarding pass for the domestic flight, picking the luggage up in PEK, schlepping it upstairs to departure level, and rechecking it. Usually PEK baggage handling is efficient and the entire process of picking up at baggage claim and then disposing of it to others' custody will not take up too much of your time. Should you be heavily laden, carts are free and they'll be plenty of them around to grab.
I've never had much of a problem with bags when arriving at T2, but have endured a handful of 40+ minutes waits at T3, and would say the average is close to 20 minutes (before the belt even starts). Sometimes it doesn't seem like this long because of the vast distances between some of the gates (even the bus gate depot!) and baggage claim.
Old Jan 17, 11, 5:10 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by AMRivlin View Post
Thanks! Hope it can work. KHN (Nanchang is such a tiny airport, maybe they don't even have *Gold checkin.)
Apparently, OZ operates a flight to KHN and it is an 'international airport' - so I guess standards aren't exactly that low. There is definitely *G check-in since it's basically Business Class check-in. CA signage is a big lacking, so *G signs don't appear where they're supposed to be but as long as you know your benefits, you should be alright.
Old Jan 17, 11, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Update:

The KHN (Nanchang) *Gold Checkin (CA/FM/MU CIP line) agent and her manager who was standing behind her claimed they couldn't (interline) "I can not see air canada flight system" (I had a letter written in Chinese asking them to interline/send bags through to the AC Flight and listed the Ticket Number and PNRs)

It is slightly possible as a NON *A agent, she didn't have access, but I thing you are right JieJie, they didn't know how and never had to to it before.

I didn't feel like arguing as they don't speak english and I dont speak mandarin.

I did go by the AC checkin area, but it was as expected, closed.
I dropped my bags at left luggage 2 @ 30RMB each at PEK T3 Arrivals. (Info desk on Departure Hall claimed there is no Left Luggage on that level, strange).

Originally Posted by jiejie View Post

Note that with 12 hours until departure to YVR, you may not be able to go to the AC desk and check the stuff in that early. In which case, the solution would be to put the stuff in Left Luggage (for a fee, of course), then fish it out a couple of hours before departure and check in. I have heard that the Left Luggage counter on the Arrivals level outside Baggage Claim is a little cheaper than the one on the Departures Level before check-in (go figure). Once you have temporarily parked your bags, you can then enjoy the rest of your time on the non-secure side. Maybe leave the airport and go roam in town for a bit, or head for a spa. If you are able to check-through in KHN, or if you pick up in PEK and can immediately check-in with AC, then you of course are free to go airside to wait out your time, but even the *A lounge there gets a bit old after a couple of hours.

Search this Thread